Skip to main content

The Dangers of Discussing Israel

Last week, the world was focused on the Israel flotilla scandal.

It was one of those international catastrophes where details come pouring in by the minute, and so beliefs about the incident and who was at fault were solidified before what had actually happened was even confirmed.

I learned a very valuable lesson last week amidst all this:

Talking about Israel is a dangerous thing.

I work in a public place, where occasionally people will bring up things that are happening in the news. The oil spill is a big topic of conversation, as well as immigration, and as you would imagine, things can sometimes get heated.

It has been a long time, however, since I've seen people so fired up over what to me seemed like a fairly cut and dry issue.

When I first read the reports of what happened, it seemed to me that Israel completely overreacted and that they had basically slaughtered people they claimed were attacking them.

I use the term "slaughtered" because I feel that if one party has weapons and the other party doesn't, and the first party decides to use their weapons on the second party, there's a good chance everyone in the second party is going to wind up dead.

Now, I wasn't voicing this opinion because I have any direct ill will towards Israel. I would say the same if Greece or Italy boarded a boat that, admittedly, was somewhere it didn't belong, and six people wound up dead.

And yet something tells me if this were a Greek or Italian affair, I wouldn't have heard the response I got to my opinion.

I was called Anti-Semitic, a Nazi, a Nazi sympathizer, and ignorant.

Ignorant? Maybe. I realize anytime an issue gets as political as this one has, there's a very good chance that most people voicing an opinion about it are ill informed in some way.

That being said, what about my opinion made me a Nazi?

Apparently the fact that I was dumb enough to voice my opinion while there was a Jewish person within hearing distance.

My friend Jess is Jewish, and she agreed with me on most points. Jess also thinks that Israel is allowed to get away with much more than it should because regardless of what happens, it's considered the perpetual victim.

(That I have no opinion on, since I have absolutely no grasp of Israeli history or politics.)

Well, when the person within hearing distance heard Jess' opinion, they flipped out. The Nazi allegations fell on both Jess and I (I'm sure I don't need to mention how ironic that was for Jess) and the person informed us that the Israelis are God's chosen people, in case we didn't know.

That was when I sort of lost it. My belief system is shaky, and my belief in organized religion is practically non-existent, so the idea of a "chosen people" just makes my head spin.

I asked the person how her god would feel about killing all those people.

She scoffed at me and walked out.

Jess was even angrier than I was, but she told me that she's used to that sort of thing. When she tries to talk with her family about Israel, she finds that it's like discussing Nam within a military family--

Basically, not a good idea.

Unlike me, Jess actually studied Israeli history in school, and has a degree in political science, so her opinions have a lot more substance to them than mine do.

Still, she says she can never keep a rational argument going with anyone on the subject, because it always goes back to the--"But we're the chosen people" line, and how do you argue with that?

I guess the dangers of discussing Israel are the same dangers you face when arguing about gay marriage with Jesus freaks or multiple marriages with polygamists:

They think religion is their trump card, and I think it's a losing hand.

At this point, I've lost track of how many people this article has probably offended.

Told you this was dangerous territory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making