Skip to main content

What You Learn from Having a Bad Father

Father’s Day has always been a tricky time for me.

My Mom and Dad are divorced, and my father isn’t exactly what you would call a model dad.

When I was a kid, he was more like a big brother than a father—and not in any sort of good way. He was immature, temperamental, and in no way paternal.

He had a parade of girlfriends. Women would come in and out of my life, and just as I was getting used to them, they’d disappear with little or no explanation as to where they went or why.

One woman I particularly liked. She even got my mother’s seal of approval. They were together for five years, and I adored her. Then one day, she was just gone. When I asked where she went, I was told that I wouldn’t be seeing her anymore because she messed up. My mother even got involved with that little bit of child trauma, but my father refused to budge saying that it was his prerogative not to tell me what happened to her.

I later found out that my dad found out she flirted with one of their neighbors, and promptly tossed her out of the apartment they shared together. Granted, he cheated on every woman he was ever with, but being a traditional Italian man, he felt that monogamy was a one-way street that men weren’t required to drive down.

We also have the typical bad dad stories that most children of divorce have:

The weekends I was supposed to spend with him when he never showed to pick me up.
The attempts to buy my love with presents.
Telling me stories to try to make my mom look like an awful parent.
Threatening to sue for full custody—a real laugh, considering there were whole months where he didn’t even have a mailing address.

Of course, this all happened years and years ago, and now he has another child—a girl, my little half-sister. I’m relieved to say he’s a much better parent to her than he was to me. Our relationship is still shaky at best, but at least I can make a Father’s Day phone call to him without feeling like the whole thing is one big fraudulent exercise.

And I’ve learned that it is possible to learn things from a father even when he’s not a good one.

For one thing, I’m a firm believer that most men are better off being fathers later in life. My dad has patience and selflessness now that he never had when he was younger, and I attribute a lot of that to, well, him being younger. When I turned twenty-two—the age he was when I was born—I suddenly had an epiphany.

I was still a kid, and he must have been too.

It was amazing how much I was able to forgive after that.

By having a less than stellar father, I realized that idolizing anyone is dangerous, but idolizing parents is downright lethal. Part of my father’s problem was that he had an even worse dad than I did, and he was determined to admire him in spite of that just because he wanted to love his dad the same way the other kids he knew loved theirs.

The sooner you figure out your parents are humans with human flaws, the easier it’s going to be to love them. I spent most of my early years screaming at my mother because I couldn’t understand why she couldn’t bend steel with her hands, work a full-time job, and bake brownies for my class bake sale.

And she got some of the flack that should have gone to my father.

I’ve done a lot of apologizing to her since then.

Luckily, having a bad dad taught me the value of an apology. My father never apologized for anything. Not for missing those weekends with me. Not for forgetting my birthday. Not for telling me when I was eight that I should just be like other kids or else I was going to be miserable for the rest of my life.

I learned from him that when you’re an inherently irresponsible person, it’s impossible for you to apologize for things. I could tell he felt weak whenever he was wrong, so his response was to cross his arms and never admit it. I found myself becoming the same way, and so now I push the apologies out of my mouth even if I’m not entirely sure I was wrong. I learned from my dad that it takes more strength and character to apologize than it does to puff up your chest and break out your iron will.

I learned that you can’t expect people to play by your rules. If there’s one thing I’ve inherited from my father, it’s his love of control. Whatever he did, he had to be the boss at, and that extended well beyond the workplace. There were his rules for himself, which were few and lenient, and then there were the rules for everybody else in his life—including me. Again, I think it was that old European mentality—

The man of the family does what he wants, and everybody else nods and smiles.

Unfortunately for my dad, his family was fractured when my mom left him, and I don’t think he ever really got over not having a clan of people to give orders to.

Now, I look at him and tell myself that I have to remember that everybody has their own belief systems and rules that they live by, and rarely will they ever match up with mine. When someone does something I find reproachable, I think of how my dad would respond—either by cutting them out of his life or flipping out at them—and I remember that he doesn’t have many friends, and the ones he does have are like worker arts with just as much personality.

So when Father’s Day rolls around, I’ll make that phone call. It won’t be a dinner or an outing, and there certainly won’t be any Hallmark moments, but it will be a phone call.

The last thing I learned from my dad is that everyone is a teacher, and that some people teach you by showing you what they don’t know. It’s more than just learning from other’s mistakes. It’s realizing what could be there in place of the mistakes.

Love.
Acceptance.
Reliability.

My dad was never able to give me any of these things, but he did show me how valuable it is to be able to give them to others. So I do. I even give them to him.

And maybe one day, if I can give them to my son, he’ll feel comfortable giving me more than a phone call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making