Skip to main content

Falling Through

A few years ago, I was hanging out on a rooftop.

This seemed pretty cool.
Actually, it was very cool.

A rooftop in the city
End of summer
Staring out in the future, or past, or whatever

It was very CW
Like, an indie band was playing in my head
And it was one of those moments you want to take a snapshot of
Because you think--Yeah, this is my awesome tv moment

There was, however, one thing missing

Paper lanterns

A rooftop is not complete without paper lanterns
Mainly because
Without them
It's pitch black
And you're liable to fall to your death

Which almost happened...I think.

Let me explain:

I was walking from one end of the roof to the other
And I didn't notice the giant gap in the middle of the roof
That would send a person two stories down
To either hideous injury
Or just, you know, death

I remember stepping forward
And then back
And when I stepped back
The person I was on the roof with said 'Careful'
And moved their flashlight over the gap

I looked down into, well, just darkness
But a LOT of darkness

'Oh my God,' I said

Not because I just almost died
But because I could have sworn that I really had stepped forward
Onto what appeared to be nothing
Meaning I should already be lying two stories down
Broken or dead

But I wasn't

Now, to be clear, I didn't have a 'Life flashing before my eyes' near-death experience
Because I didn't know I was near-death until the experience was already over

What I will say is that the night continued
And I felt revved up
Like I had cheated death
But I also felt like...

Like I had gone down a road now

Like Robert Frost was totally onto something--

(Because up to that point, I thought he was just a hack)

--And you really do come to two roads

Although one road is death
And the other is not death

And I went down 'Not Death'
Which is a super nice road
Even if it does have a few potholes in it

I imagine death is probably a very nice road
Very smooth
Because, you know, it's death

But even while on 'Not Death'
I thought to myself--

Am I sure I'm not dead?

Because what if Death just seems like your life continuing?

What if you're in a car
And the car goes towards a tree
And then the next thing you know
There's no tree in sight
And you're just driving along on a highway
And everything's fine?

Because, wouldn't that really be most people's choice for a Heaven?
A place where you can go on pretending that you're still alive
Even when you're not?

I always thought that no matter how nice Heaven is
I'm still going to be pissed when I get there that I'm not alive
(You know, assuming I'm actually heading there
I'm an atheist so most of this is a weird sort of rambling anyway)

Ever since that night on the roof
Anytime something good has happened to me
I've wondered if life really ended that night on the roof
And the good stuff is just the creation of my post-life mind
Trying to make me happy
Without tipping me off that I'm no longer among the living

Conversely, whenever something bad happens
I find that I can sort of take it in stride
Because, Hey, I might actually be dead anyway
So who cares?

I hate to make it sound like I advocate for having a near-death experience
But I don't exactly not advocate for it

I think it's, you know, nice work if you can get it
Provided you get "near" but don't actually
You know, die

It's sort of nice to have the marker

That night on the roof
Might have been it

And you know what?

There are worse ways to go

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making