Skip to main content

Revive Dawson

Dear CW,

I see you've chosen to revive Melrose Place. At first, I was appalled, then thrilled, then appalled again. (This was all based on whether or not Heather "Spins Crap Into Gold" Locklear was going to be involved or not.) Now, you've added Ashley Simpson and Mischa Barton surely isn't far behind. Since most of the new MP cast is the same age as the 90210 cast, I'm wondering if you're a little confused about the idea behind these two shows--at one time, Fox's best offerings. One is about slutty teenagers, and the other is about slutty adults. It's very important that there be a distinction there.

But that's not why I'm writing to you.

I'm not sure what legal loopholes got you the rights to everything Aaron Spelling produced, but I'm hoping that A) you leave Dynasty alone, and B) that you still own whatever the now-defunct WB used to air.

If B) is in fact true, then I have the following suggestion:

Revive Dawson's Creek.

To say this show was ground-breaking is like saying an iceberg is chilly. Built off the 8pm lead-in of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek was a cultural phenomenon. It taught my generation how to use big words like "anachronistic" and "condom." It showed that guys and girls could be just friends--until they kissed, then dated, then broke up, then got back together, then slept together, then broke up, then--

You get my point.

Most of all, it was the best written show for teenagers since My So-Called Life (secretly I think it was better, but I don't want to endure the wrath of the Krakow lovers).

Now, with television having reached it's newest low (I believe they're developing a reality show around former members of the Manson family--Crazy in Love) I think it's time to bring some intelligence back to the small screen, and to the image of teenagers as well. Oh sure, actual teenagers haven't gotten any smarter, but they're not going to either until they have solid role models to look up to--like Pacey, who slept with his English teacher, what better way is there to improve your vocabulary?

Nothing else on television is speaking to teenagers the way Dawson's Creek and its creator Kevin Williamson did. 90210 certainly isn't doing young America any favors. Watching The Hills has been proven to cause cancer. Everyone who misses The O.C. has now been put in jail for trying to rob convenience stores with poorly concealed hi lighters.

These kids need Dawson's Creek. Nobody needs Melrose Place. Some of us want it desperately, and would be willing to play Amanda's long-lost nephew, Tyler, a young man with a secret, but we don't NEED Melrose Place.

Here's what we do need--

We open on a shot of good old Capeside High. Jack is now separated from Pacey's older brother, who clearly was not gay--Jack was clearly not gay either, but Kevin Williamson wanted a gay character on the show, and they wouldn't let him make Dawson gay as he had originally intended, so poor Kerr Smith ended up being contractually obligated to kiss exactly ONE guy a year--(one of my friends kisses one guy a year too, but that's on his birthday after he's had enough beers to claim he "thought it was a fine lady with big arms.")

ANYWAY

Jack is having an affair with Remi (gotta have original names here people, NO character on a teen drama can be named Michael, Matt, Sarah, or Lindsay--EVER). Remi is your typical bad boy. His best friend Matt--(Breaking my own rule? Wait for it!)--A GIRL! Matt is an outcast, who's dating Sony, the school's most popular guy, but--WAIT FOR IT!--Sony is actually in the closet and has a crush on Remi.

I know, this has already gotten too gay. Sue me.

Then you need the fourth character, who's there just because...Well...you need a fourth character. That would Axton (pronounced Annabelle) a girl from Hollywood who has to adjust to small-town life with her grandmother--Gail Leery!

That's right. She's Dawson's daughter. Who's her mother?

I'm not telling until they pick up the series.

Come on, tell me that's not gold, CW? Tell me that's not better than the 29th Cycle of America's Next Top Model where they're only using models who have actually read more than four novels (Goodnight Moon not included). Tell me that's not better than X-Files Lite...I mean...Supernatural. Smallville? THAT'S STILL ON? That was on when I still thought I was straight! Tell me DC wouldn't be better than yet another season of that.

Tell me it wouldn't be better than Melrose Place Revisited.

Go on, try and tell me.

In the meantime, I'll be hitting Play on my stereo, and let Paula Cole say what I'm sure any Dawson's fan would say about going back to Capeside.

I don't wanna wait...

Sincerely,
Kevin Broccoli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making