Skip to main content

All About My Mother

A few days ago, I asked people to talk about who they love and why in a post called "Somebody to Love."

If asked who I love, there are a lot of answers I could give.

Still, there's one person who has taken a lot of flack from me in the blogosphere, and so I think I need to rectify that in some way by stating the following:

I love my Mom.

From the day I was born, she's always tried to do whatever she could to make sure I had a better life.

She left my Dad, the love of her life, because she knew he wasn't ready to be a good father or a good husband.

She went to work--and every time I hear stay-at-home moms criticize working mothers, I feel like telling them that my mother showed me more about how much she loved me by working than she ever could have by marrying some rich jerk and baking cookies four times a day. She taught me about the value of hard work, and sacrifice, and most of all, she taught me that sometimes you have to suck it up and do what you have to do even if you don't want to.

We never had a lot of money, and yet every Christmas I had more gifts than I knew what to do with.

She only let me be around people who loved me as much as she did--which meant my Aunt and Grandmother. As a result, I was raised by some pretty tough women. Yes, I could have used some more positive male influence in my life, but in my opinion, if you want to know true strength--you talk to a good woman.

Did she make mistakes? Yes, lots. But she was also so young when she had me. I can't imagine being 25, the age I am now, with a failed marriage and a kid to support with little-to-no help. I don't know how she did it, but she did it.

She calls me every day to see how I'm doing.

If I need something, she's there.

When I crashed my car, she was there in minutes and the first thing she did was hug me and say--"Thank God you're alright."

She always thinks I'm not eating.
She cries at the cheapest birthday card as long as I put an "I love you" on the inside.
She's never missed a single show I've done, and when they're over, she tells me I should have had a bigger role.

My Mom's my hero, and I don't know where I'd be without her.

She's not just someone I love, she's someone who taught me what loving someone means.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making