Skip to main content

Esquire Gives Me Style Resolutions

After Details, GQ, and Tom Ford struck out with me, I decided to give Overcompensation Magazine a try--in other words, Esquire.

Esquire is for frat boys who can read--in other words, invisible people, or gay guys who like reading stuff that they think will let them into the minds of closeted jocks so they can then seduce them at bachelor parties by talking about which chicks are hot and where to get a good martini.

Who better to teach me how to dress?

Here are the ten style resolutions Esquire thinks I need to make--

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

Pants are in--who knew? 12 Shades seems like a bit much though. I've already dismissed white denim--do I really want to entertain the idea of aqua khakis?

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

The word "restock" for me isn't really appropriate. My closet is to style what a bachelor's cupboard is to the culinary arts.

In other words, I've got half a package of baloney and a jar of olives.

I have to say though, these trends seem to be a bit more manageable than the suggestions I found in other magazines.

Buy pants, buy shirts, etc.

So far I'm onboard. I love shirts and pants.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

I'm confused. Are you supposed to dress like a Parisian artist from a Pepe Le Pew cartoon on the weekend? Where's the beret?

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

Wait--I'm supposed to have two pairs already? What do you need two pairs for? Is one pair supposed to go in the wash or something?

I'm confused.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

"I will in?" Grammar check, Esquire. You just lost so many points. You lost even more points when you suggested a theater grad who spends most of his time food shopping or rehearsing should drop twenty-five hundred bucks on a fitted suit.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

Cashmere that doesn't break the bank? Newsflash: In 2010, if you're twenty-five, three hundred bucks is breaking the bank.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

I love their use of verb-ology--"I will look into black." As if they're saying, "investigate it, go on a few dates with it, take it for a spin."

Look Esquire, you don't have to sell me on black. I'm sold on black. You're preaching to the black choir. The gospel black choir singing to Jesus about black--that's me.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

How about just "I'll travel?" Does this mean I can't wear my Bermuda shorts to Austria anymore? This is beginning to sound like a fortune cookie with everything ending in "with style."

"Make love--with style."
"Eat peas--with style."
"Hitchhike--with style."

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

Can I be honest? I really don't like guys who wear ties all the time. I understand the need to look professional, but I feel like looking nice loses it's value if you go formal all the time.

Ties strike fear in my t-shirt loving heart. Sorry.

http://www.esquire.com/style/merchandise/mens-fashion-trends-2010-0110

Okay, so if a regular tie strikes fear, this tie is like the Dracula of ties.

Enough for now.

I'm off to buy shirts and pants.

I'm sorry to see the era of walking around in you underwear go, but I guess we're getting conservative in the new decade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making