Skip to main content

Lunch with the Boys: Guy Trouble

Have you ever one of those days when every one of your friends was texting you with some sort of problem?

Neither have I.

My friends and I all wait until grilled chicken is in front of us at the NC before we spill our problems to each other.

SCOOTER: I have a hypotheses.
ME: You mean a hypothetical question?
SCOOTER: Yeah that.
BRIAN: Let's hear it.
TURNER: Should I put on the lab goggles?

Scooter rarely ever talks about boy trouble, because he likes us to believe that his sexual prowess prevents any boy from ever getting the best of him.

So that meant this admission was going to be GOOD.

SCOOTER: I lost a fuck buddy.
BRIAN: You forgot to latch the cage door again?
ME: Brian!
BRIAN: Sorry--back to supportive.

It turns out one of Scooter's very special pen pals was set up on a date the previous weekend.

TURNER: Well, Scooter, it's not like you and he have any sort of commitment.
SCOOTER: I know, but the date doesn't make sense!
BRIAN: Scooter, I know we haven't had the 'date' talk with you yet. A 'date' is when two people want to do more than have sex and forget each other's names--
SCOOTER: I mean the two of them going on a date doesn't make sense because the guy goes to UCLA.

Believe it or not, that was all it took to get everybody on Scooter's side.

ME: So your little buddy was STARTING a long distance relationship?
BRIAN: Why do people do that? Why would you go on a date with someone knowing if you hit it off you're going to have to use frequent flyer milers to see them again?
TURNER: He's probably desperate for a boyfriend.
ME: A boyfriend is someone who lives in the same city as you.
TURNER: I've had successful long distance relationships!
ME: Yes, but they didn't START as long distance relationships.
TURNER: True.
BRIAN: I have a five-mile rule. If they're not within five miles of me, I'm not interested.
ME: I'm the same way with the places I get my oil changed.

Turns out, Turner had his own issues.

TURNER: Scott is dating Richard Robert Randall.
ALL: NO!

Richard Robert Randall is a snobby little tool, and Scott is one of Turner's ex's.

Actually he was our FAVORITE ex of Turner's until just now.

TURNER: I don't understand. Scott and I used to make fun of Triple R!
SCOOTER: There's your issue.
TURNER: What's my issue?
SCOOTER: There's a very fine line between ridicule and ridiculous sex.
ME: No, there's not.
SCOOTER: I've made fun of guys all the time and wound up with them.
BRIAN: So you're into taunting? You have a taunting fetish?
SCOOTER: I'm just saying the guys you don't have to worry about are the guys who don't come up in conversation at all.
ME: Do you think you can summon a relationship that way? Like, if I talk about George Clooney a lot, will I one day wind up with him?
BRIAN: No, you have to make fun of him.
TURNER: It's okay, Kev. I'll rent you Leatherheads. That should give you plenty of material.
ME: Hey! Leave George alone.

Since Scooter and Turner already had their chance their vent, it was now Brian's turn to tell a tale of woe.

BRIAN: A guy actually passed on me because he'd gone on two dates with another guy and they went well.
ME: Two dates and he's decided he's good to go?
TURNER: When you know, you know.
SCOOTER: I've never known.
BRIAN: You should get that on a t-shirt.
ME: Brian, answer me a question. Say Magic Man Number Two fails, would you consider giving this guy another shot?
BRIAN: After he passed on me, no way.
ME: You see, Turner? Jump the gun, and you wind up running out of ammo.
TURNER: So you're saying be a slut?
ME: I'm saying we're young. We're supposed to date around, not shop for a husband.
BRIAN: Oh, I don't know. I do love me a good diamond ring.

This is where I yell--

ME: Check please!

And agree to do this again next month.

All good things in moderation--just like men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making