Skip to main content

My Mother and Grandmother Review "You're Just in Love"

-- Critics rarely review a one-night run of anything, but luckily my Mom and Grandma don't discriminate. Here are some of their thoughts on "You're Just in Love." --

On "Vivian Leaves a Voicemail"

MOM: That was me.
GRANDMA: It was funny.
MOM: That was all me, and I didn't approve.
GRANDMA: It was very funny.
MOM: I'm never leaving you a voicemail again.
GRANDMA: I liked the shawl that girl was wearing. So pretty.
MOM: Everything I say now you're going to put into a show. I just know it.
GRANDMA: Do you know where she got that shawl?

On "When the Summer Loved the Winter"

MOM: He was tall!
GRANDMA: He was so tall.
MOM: Kissed his wife at the end.
GRANDMA: Went right into the audience and kissed her.
MOM: What a nice man.
GRANDMA: And so tall!

On "Conversational Italian"

MOM: That poor boy.
GRANDMA: His wife left him.
MOM: He was too young to be married anyway.
GRANDMA: Why would you leave that nice boy?
MOM: He's better off.
GRANDMA: You should have cast someone ugly then I would have believed that she would have left him.
MOM: Tell him he's better off.

On "If You Don't Love the Man"

MOM: You know who didn't fit in her wedding dress?
GRANDMA: Your cousin Stephanie.
MOM: My cousin Stephanie. That's all I could think about.
GRANDMA: Oh God, that dress.
MOM: Is that where you got that idea from? Did you see photos of Cousin Stephanie?
GRANDMA: It was like a tarp!

On "But I'm Not Gonna Cry"

MOM: That was about me.
GRANDMA: You cry all the time!
MOM: That's what it was about!
GRANDMA: No it wasn't! It was about not crying!
MOM: Ma, there were two meanings.
GRANDMA: What two meanings? There were no two meanings!
MOM: This is why you're not cultured.

On "People Don't Read Anymore"

MOM: I didn't like that one. Why are you writing about people who sleep with other people's husbands?
GRANDMA: He's a writer. He's being creative.
MOM: He doesn't need to write about tramps.
GRANDMA: What else is he going to write about?

On "The Mechanic"

GRANDMA: He was handsome.
MOM: Ma!
GRANDMA: He was, he was handsome.
MOM: He did a good job.
GRANDMA: Is he going to do more of your plays?
MOM: What do you care?
GRANDMA: He was handsome.
MOM: Oh Jesus, Ma...

On "The Problem with Daughters"

MOM: I'm glad I never had daughters.
GRANDMA: I knew exactly what she was talking about.
MOM: Oh, I wasn't bad!
GRANDMA: EXACTLY what she was talking about.
MOM: I was a good daughter!
GRANDMA: It was like my life story up on that stage.

On "The Chaperone"

MOM: That was sweet!
GRANDMA: Sexy fire leopard--where did you get that?
MOM: It was funny!
GRANDMA: I know it was! I want to tell the girls at bingo about it. How did it go?
MOM: The guy was saying a leopard came to the class.
GRANDMA: A real leopard?
MOM: No, that's the joke!
GRANDMA: I know it's a joke, but how did it go?
MOM: Just tell them it was about a leopard lighting matches.
GRANDMA: That doesn't make any sense!
MOM: There's a second meaning!
GRANDMA: Here we go with the second meanings again.

On "Play Always On My Mind"

MOM: I cried. Oh God, I cried almost the whole time. I was so embarrassed.
GRANDMA: And she thinks that not crying monologue is about her?
MOM: Ma!
GRANDMA: You're digging your own grave is all I'm saying.

On "The Accountant"

MOM: Now THAT ONE was funny.
GRANDMA: There were other funny ones!
MOM: That one I liked the best.
GRANDMA: That's because you weren't listening to the other ones.
MOM: I was too listening!
GRANDMA: Then you should have liked them all.
MOM: I did but I'm allowed to have a favorite!
GRANDMA: What kind of a mother are you having favorites?
MOM: He wrote them all! I can't like one more than the others?
GRANDMA: Honey, Grandma loved every one more than she can say.
MOM: He knows you're lying because your eyebrow's dancing.
GRANDMA: Don't listen to your mother. She doesn't appreciate your work.

On "The Ride from Syracuse"

MOM: That girl was in the Russian play you did too. I recognized her.
GRANDMA: She was good in that.
MOM: She was good in this too.
GRANDMA: She was, but I loved her in that.
MOM: This was better. It was like she was reading poetry.
GRANDMA: I don't like poetry.
MOM: Then how do you know how she did?
GRANDMA: It's just my opinion.
MOM: Your opinion is wrong.
GRANDMA: All I'm saying is I liked her in the other play better.
MOM: So you have...a favorite?

On "Everything She Sees"

MOM: I cried.
GRANDMA: That time we both cried.
MOM: Why didn't you tell me we were going to cry so much?
GRANDMA: I was a mess.
MOM: And your Aunt was drinking wine.
GRANDMA: Don't even tell him that.
MOM: It was only one glass.
GRANDMA: Drinking at a theater show. Is that how I raised you two?

On "Dear Darling"

MOM: The part about the model trains--that was my Cousin Fred.
GRANDMA: I don't think he ever met Fred.
MOM: He must have, because that was Fred.
GRANDMA: I think Fred died last year.
MOM: I don't care. That was Fred.
GRANDMA: Maybe there are two Cousin Fred's.
MOM: What a nice voice that girl had.
GRANDMA: Everyone on your father's side named their kid Fred. Who knows why?
MOM: I enjoyed that one.

On "Love Among the Covered Wagons"

GRANDMA: That was like Little House on the Prairie!
MOM: Ma, they weren't pioneers.
GRANDMA: Yes, they were!
MOM: They were settlers.
GRANDMA: It's the same thing!
MOM: No, it's not the same thing.
GRANDMA: You're crazy.
MOM: I'm crazy? You thought the Waltons were hippies!
GRANDMA: They were!

On "Dance with Me, Gorgeous"

MOM: That was a nice piece.
GRANDMA: You're such a good actor.
MOM: And that man in it with you was so good.
GRANDMA: You get that from me. I was always a good actress.
MOM: When did you act?
GRANDMA: In life, I acted.
MOM: You mean you lied a lot.
GRANDMA: Same thing.

On "Everything He Gave Me to Love"

GRANDMA: That girl did that in the last show, didn't she?
MOM: I didn't see it last time. I liked it.
GRANDMA: Why didn't you write something new for her?
MOM: That one was good--why write another one?
GRANDMA: I just feel bad. Everybody else got to do something new.
MOM: Maybe she likes that one.
GRANDMA: I'd want a new one.
MOM: That's why you don't do his shows! Because you're picky!

On "Why I Chose Your Father"

GRANDMA: Now that one was about you.
MOM: Why do you say that?
GRANDMA: It was about marrying an asshole. It was about you.

On the show as a whole:

MOM: I loved it. I was so proud.
GRANDMA: That mechanic is going to be in the next one, right?

-- I'd call that a rave. --

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making