Skip to main content

Tom Ford's Guide to Life

While I was jumping around the Details website, I found a piece too good to resist commenting on--

"Rules of Style from Tom Ford"

These rules may very well comprise the meaning of life.

Let's sit and listen by the fireplace as Uncle Tom weaves a tail of sexual promiscuity and hourglass figures.

1. I don’t believe in playing around much with suit cuts. I like a fairly classic shape that gives a man strong shoulders, a fitted waist, and long legs. Classic simplicity always works.

I actually like my men to have tiny shoulders, a waist the size of a kiddie pool, and coffee table stubs. I love that Tom doesn't say "If you don't fit this description, you're ugly." Instead he just says you're not classically simple. Apparently eighty percent of the population is contemporarily complicated.

2. Someone who is secure enough to be very present when relating to another person is sexy. In other words, a good listener always lands who he wants.

I personally find it creepy when people listen to me. I can't help myself from thinking "Are they actually finding what I'm saying interesting? I'm talking about Fraggle Rock right now! Why are they listening to me? What a loser."

3. When mixing patterns, don’t think about it too much—just throw it together.

The last time I threw patterns together I looked like a rabbi at Woodstock.

4. I hate the trend of short suit jackets. When a man’s butt is showing below the bottom of his jacket, I think it makes him look like a female flight attendant from the back—not my idea of sexy.

Just so we're clear--Tom hates ba-donk. Why didn't he just come right out and say "I'm a catcher, not a pitcher--and I DON'T LIKE COMPETITION!"

5. With jewelry, I actually like bracelets more than anything else, but they have to be small and simple. Cary Grant always wore a simple gold bracelet with his watch, and I think that was very chic.

I think bracelets on a man are like raw chicken sitting on a kitchen counter--bad news. Unless you're named Vito and you work in waste management, keep your wrists clean.

6. If you’re careful not to overuse Botox, then yes, why shouldn’t you use it? A little bit of it between the brows can make you look less stern and more approachable. Who needs to frown, anyway?

I mean, why frown? Everyone already knows you're miserable because you're wearing a jangly bracelet and you have no ass. Just go and inject dead bacteria into your skin. Who doesn't want to look like they're made of flesh-colored jello?

7. Just like girls need to learn to be comfortable in heels before they go out in them for the first time, a man should try wearing a suit throughout a normal day. I do most things in a suit—and sometimes even in a tuxedo—and so I’m really comfortable in one.

What a tease. "I do most things in a suit." You can't say that without saying the weirdest thing you've done in a suit. Have you mowed a lawn in a suit? Have you gone to the zoo in a suit? Do you have a zoo suit? (Sorry, had to do it.) Considering all Tom Ford does all day is sit around, sip martinis, and inject botox into his crow's feet, I doubt wearing a suit has ever been a problem for him.

8. When it comes to grooming, keep earwax out of the ears and keep stray hairs and flakes of skin in check and you should be good to go. In the morning, I put ice cubes on my eyes and use lots of Visine.

Can you imagine being the hooker waking up next to that nonsense? "Well, hello young man. I was just about to mix some patterns once I take these ice cubes off. Care to join me?"

9. Time and silence are the most luxurious things today.

Yes, time and silence are luxurious when you already have money, fame, and a Parisian boy named Michele who walks around with a clipboard and does your bidding.

10. There’s one indulgence every man should try in his lifetime: If you’re straight, sleep with a man at least once, and if you’re gay, don’t go through life without sleeping with a woman. Either way, you might be surprised at how natural it will feel if you can get past the mind-fuck of stereotypes. In the end, it’s just another person that you are relating to in a physical way.

"...Also, you haven't lived until you've caught hepatitis."

Thank you, Tom.

I now have the skills I need to grow old with dignity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making