Skip to main content

The Reviews Aren't In

There's a line from Mary Stuart by Friedrich Schiller that I love. It's spoken by Mary to her servant Hannah, after they have been put in exile and faced years of injustice. Depending on the translation, it goes something like this:

In the fair moments of our former splendor
We lent to flatterers a too willing ear;—
It is but just, good Hannah, we should now
Be forced to hear the bitter voice of censure.

Believe it or not, when I first read this quote, it struck me that it could be about theater.

At the time, I was reading Robert Brustein's brilliant book "Letters to a Young Actor," and in one of the chapters, he talks about how for a time while he was the Artistic Director of A.R.T., he banned putting quotes from reviews on posters for the student shows.

The reason behind it was that he felt that the students were learning and that it wasn't constructive to let Boston critics have at them. In general, he felt that reviews shouldn't be plastered on posters anyway, but his marketing department overrode him by saying that pointing out good reviews can help sell a show.

Still, I think of that quote, and I wonder what his marketing department would say when the show didn't get good reviews.

There are so many instances of great work not getting a chance to be seen or heard while it was going on because critics at the time didn't understand or appreciate it. Think of all the films that got bad reviews upon their release only to achieve cult status years later. Matt Damon once said that you can't judge a film until ten years after its release, and he might be right. Pretty much everybody would say that a factor in judging art is whether or not it stands the test of time, otherwise why would we criticize something for being topical?

All of this leads me to a decision I've made recently.

I am no longer going to post reviews on my Facebook page.

Sounds silly, right? Big deal?

Except, for me, it sort of is.

Facebook has become the way we promote ourselves. In a way, it's where we put up our posters.

I've put up links to reviews when they said I did well, only to ignore the ones that didn't like something I'd done. We're all so quick to compliment someone on getting a rave, but when they get panned, we tell them critics don't know what they're talking about.

Well, which is it?

I don't particularly think critics, as a rule, are idiots, nor do I think their opinion has no value. Actually, I think everybody's opinion has a value. I'm not going to lie and say I'm no longer reading reviews, or that I won't get excited when I get a good one. I'm just not posting them any longer, because they shouldn't mean as much to me as they do. Hearing my friends and colleagues, fellow actors and mentors, tell me that they saw something I did and liked it--that's what should mean the most to me.

In a state where The Lion King gets reviewed three times while incredible local theater is beginning to flourish and subsequently get ignored by the major newspaper in the city, why promote that paper by posting links to it on your profile? Why use it to sell your shows? Why not let audiences make up their own minds?

It's been proven that good theater can not only survive, but thrive, on word of mouth. We shouldn't brainwash audiences into only going to see theater strictly because two or three critics told them is worthwhile. We should put up our posters and say, decide for yourselves.

I've enjoyed some shows that critics loathed, and it's not because I was right or they were wrong, but because people have different tastes.

I now find myself going home to check the reviews of a show I just saw to see whether or not I was right for liking it or hating it. That's total insanity.

There are also the critics who give nothing but good reviews, which I feel isn't helpful either. I'm not looking to be universally praised (all right, I am) but to say that every production is flawless is just not helpful. It's only when you point out what could be better that people actually get better, and yet those reviews get put up on Facebook as if they came down from Heaven.

"Look! Now it's official! We did a good show!"

Does anybody else feel like saying "Screw that?"

If a hundred people see your show, and only ten people enjoyed it--yes, those numbers are ideal, but that means you still gave ten people an enjoyable evening of theater. You took away a bit of their stress. Perhaps you even made them look at something in a new way, or gave them a laugh they really needed.

Since when did theater become about quantity instead of quality?

Films don't tend to worry about reviews as much. If they did, would a Transformers movie ever have gotten made?

It's too bad that we live in a society where you don't have to worry about selling a product with guns and sex because it's a sure thing, but provocative and interesting theater needs billboards and full page ads.

We can complain about it, but the fact is, we're also contributing to it.

I'm contributing to it every time I say--Look at this review I got! It means I'm worth something!

So no more.

I'll read my reviews in the privacy of my own living room and jump up and down for joy or cry puddles by myself, but I won't prioritize one person's opinion of what I do over anybody else's. If you like something I've done, or not, I'll still listen and appreciate what you have to say. I'm not above getting criticized, I'm just past deifying the critics.

You can all continue to post your reviews and I'll applaud your victories and commiserate with you over your low points, because ultimately, this is just my decision. I'm going on a no-review posting diet, but that doesn't mean I expect everybody else to stop eating.

Maybe if I can learn not to put the value of what I do in the hands of a select few people, then others can as well, and maybe one day we'll start seeing posters with just the title of the show and the people who worked on it on them.

Because after all, aren't those the only things that should be there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making