Skip to main content

Sobriety Tests Can Be Fun

I don't really drink, and by "don't really" I mean I never drink.

Ever.

And when you don't drink, people try pressuring you into drinking.

For years, I looked for that glowing moment when something would happen to show me that not drinking all these years has been a good decision.

On New Year's Eve, I had my moment.

I was on the highway at around 1am when the police car behind me turned its lights on, and pulled me over.

After realizing that I wasn't speeding, I felt a rush of exhilaration.

Could they be pulling me over because they suspect me of being...drunk?

I had just swerved, because I had to change songs on my iPhone--

(Don't judge.  I'm offering full disclosure here.)

--maybe this was proof that had I been drinking earlier it would have been the wrong thing to do!

The state trooper was very polite, and right away, got to the good stuff:

Had I been drinking tonight?

Rather than just say, "No, I haven't been.  I actually don't drink," I went to my tried-and-true way of getting out of a ticket.

Diabetes.

I say that my blood sugar is low.

You can mock me or act appalled that I would use a serious condition like diabetes to get out of a ticket, but the next time you get pulled over, and you don't want your insurance to go up, let's see how pious you are.

Nobody wants to give a ticket to somebody with diabetes.

It's a known fact.

If you say you have terminal cancer, nobody will believe you.  Also, if you say you don't drink (even if you really don't) police usually won't believe you.

But for some reason they'll believe that you have diabetes, and they'll immediately send you on your way since they have no idea what having diabetes consists of, but they'll think that if they keep or worry you, you'll die immediately and it'll be on their head.

So without thinking I pulled out the diabetes line when I didn't even really need it.

The officer, probably figuring--Well, I already have him pulled over, I may as well go through the motions--still wanted to give me a sobriety test.

I was very excited.

How many times in life are you given a test you KNOW you're going to pass?

It would be like if somebody showed up at my workplace and gave me a pop quiz on Dolly Parton or the underrated performances of Angela Lansbury (of which there are many).

I was ready.

Then I thought about the kind of sobriety tests they could give me, and how I would do on each.

I can definitely count backwards from 100.
I can also recite the alphabet backwards (Thank you, Wee Sing.)
I can sort of walk a straight line but not when I'm nervous.
I can touch my nose with one finger but it usually makes me pee.

But I didn't get any of those tests.

He gave me the pen test.

He held a pen up above my head, and moved a pen back and forth in front of my eyes.  I had to follow the pen without moving my head.

Guys, have you tried that?

It's really hard!

And I was sober!

Thank goodness, I wasn't drunk.  I'd like to think I could convincingly act sober if I was drunk, but the truth is, I can barely pass sobriety tests sober, let alone drunk.

It didn't help that I was laughing the entire time.

The officer said to the other officer there--"He's got diabetes" and I think that's why they let me go.

So you see, diabetes saved me after all.

I bet that's something you don't hear every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making