Skip to main content

Nobody Wants Your Take

It had to be said.

Nobody wants to read this.

Nobody wants my take on anything.

Oh sure, maybe a snarky comment here or there, but a three-page thinkpiece on anything?

Unwelcome.
Unasked for.
Unwarranted.

Awhile ago I wrote that all I wanted from everything I consume (podcasts, books, cheese, etc) is insight or information.

Once I set that threshold for reading articles or clicking on links, I immediately cut down my consumption of just about everything by half.

It's remarkable how many people, myself included, have no information to offer and nothing new to say and yet churn out an unbelievable amount of content seemingly just for the sake of churning out content.

Honestly, who is reading most of this stuff?

Have you looked at Huffington Post lately?  It's a collection of tweets stating the obvious, many of which are probably fake accounts made up by Huffpo's editors, with little paragraphs in between them saying things like "But other people feel differently."

Is that...supposed to qualify as news?

Don't we call it news because it's supposed to be new information?

Have you listened to NPR lately?

I get that not everybody gets their news from the same place and so you shouldn't report on anything assuming people already know what you're talking about, but with the amount of news coming down the pike, I think at some point, we have to tell people to catch up on their own time and just stick to reporting the latest, because the bulk of what I'm listening to lately are recaps of what's already happened.

But the worst is--as you can expect--social media.

Awhile ago, I posted on Facebook that overnight everybody seemed to have gotten a job as a spokesperson for...everything.

I'll never forget--try as I might--the day I saw someone post a status beginning with "I should probably address my feelings on--"

No.
No, you shouldn't.
Nobody cares.

I know that sounds cruel, but when every meme is all about how people need to mind their business and those same people think it's their job to let us know where they stand on every single issue, you have to wonder where the disconnect is.

Nobody wants your hot take.
Or your cold take.
Or any take you have on anything.

I'm saying this in the context of a blog, so I understand the irony, but I don't expect anybody to read this.  I use blogs the way we used to use LiveJournal.  I treat it as shouting into a black hole and then walk away feeling a little bit lighter and still morbidly depressed at the state of the world.

But I'm not promising you're going to learn anything from me or look at things a different way based on what I'm saying here.

I am, without a doubt, the least insightful person on the planet.
I never have a new way of looking at...anything, really.

As for information, if gossip counts as information, then yes, I can definitely give you some information, but other than that...

I'm only spending a few minutes writing this because it's cathartic to write something that you wish you could scream at all of Twitter.

Lately I dread seeing any cultural touchstone happen in front of my eyes, because I know it's going to be picked to death for hours the next day until nobody ever wants to talk about it again, and in that way, we end up giving tons of importance to things we don't have the hindsight to understand, while simultaneously erasing our history before it even has a chance to become history.

So here's my solution:

From now on, just post gossip.
Only gossip.
That's all anybody wants to hear anyway.

You know how you stop scrolling immediately as soon as you sense that a status is even remotely inflammatory?

That's what people want to see.

Otherwise, pictures of cute babies and/or animals, and...

That's about it.

No more hot takes.

Please.

Nobody's reading them.

And nobody's reading this.

Probably because it's a hot take on a hot take.

But one can dream, right?

One can dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making