Skip to main content

My Favorite Podcasts

During this pandemic, I've finally gotten through most of my podcast backlog, and since a bunch of people were sharing their podcast lists last month, I thought I'd join in.

I'm not going to give descriptions of each one, but I'll clarify why some are favorites of mine.

10 Things That Scare Me

Adulting - Admittedly I don't really like live episodes of podcasts let alone podcasts that are mostly live, but this one is an exception.

Against the Rules with Michael Lewis

All Songs Considered

Articles of Interest

Asian Enough

Broken Record

The Butterfly Effect with Jon Ronson - No new episodes for awhile, but sooo interesting.

Cautionary Tales - Absolutely incredible

Code Switch

Come Through with Rebecca Carroll - Some of the best interviews you'll hear from the past few months

The Daily - I go back and forth on this one because the New York Times is so problematic, but very few podcasts does what this one does as well as it does it

Dead Eyes - If you're an actor, you NEED to listen

Death, Sex, and Money

Decoder Ring

Decomposed with Jade Simmons - A short series you can listen to over a weekend if you like

Dolly Parton's America - The Best of the Best

Finding Fred - If you think you don't need to listen to a Mr. Rogers podcast, trust me, you're wrong

Floodlines

Home Cooking - My favorite cooking podcast

The Indicator from Planet Money - I also listen to Planet Money, but I prefer the short form version even more

It's Been a Minute with Sam Sanders

It's the Pictures That Got Small and You Must Remember This - I will listen to anything Karina Longworth lends her name to. If you want a movie club, here you go. And this season about Polly Platt is another masterpiece

The Lincoln Project - Are they all two-faced? Yes. Do I still love listening to former Republicans (and some current) talk shit about POTUS?  Yup.

Marlon and Jake Read Dead People - The best lit podcast I've heard in awhile

Mobituaries - I did not think I would like this podcast. I love it. The Laura Branigan episode had me in tears. 

Moonface - One of the few fiction podcasts I loved

Nancy

Nice Try!

Nice White Parents - New but instantly iconic

Noble Blood

Rabbit Hole - Incredible and frightening

Radiolab and Radiolab Presents: More Perfect

Radio Rental - Thanks for the suggestion, Tim. This is brilliant.

Reply All

Revisionist History - I don't love the war series from this year, but the earlier episodes are fantastic

Room 20

Running from Cops

Scam Goddess - Hilarious

Serial

Short Wave - Seven minutes of science everyday

Sincerely, X

Slow Burn

Soundstage - If you miss theater, here you go

Spectacular Failures

Staying In with Kumail and Emily - I would like to move in with them, thank you

StoryCorps

Sugar Calling - I cannot get over the guests on this podcast. An all-star line-up

Tell Them, I Am

This American Life

This Land

This is not a Drake podcast - Best podcast name

Throughline

Uncivil

Unholier Than Thou

Up First - My daily ritual is listening to this first and foremost. The Daily promised a short burst of news everyday. This actually delivers that as The Daily starts going into long form

Welcome to LA

We're Having a Moment

What A Day - One of the few Crooked Testosterone-Fueled Crooked Media podcasts I actually enjoy

Who? Weekly - My number one. My favorite. The legendary. The iconic. The moment.

Wind of Change

**New Entry** 

Zack to the Future

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making