Skip to main content

I'm Not Reading Any Books About This Year and Other Promises I Shouldn't Be Making






Perhaps one of the greatest moments in cinema occurs in Tim Burton's "Big Top Pee Wee" when at the end of the film, Pee Wee Herman, playing himself, asks his girlfriend Dottie if she wants to leave the big movie premiere detailing the events of the movie we've just watched. It's one of my earliest meta-memories, but that's not what I love about it. What I love is the line he says when Dottie asks why he doesn't want to stick around and see the ending of the film.

"I don't have to see it...I lived it."

While I think that line might be borrowed from another film, it really doesn't matter, because the point I'm trying to make here is that I lived through 2020 and I never need to experience it in any other form ever again.

But I probably will.

If this year has taught me anything, it's that you shouldn't start any think-piece or hot take with "If this year has taught me anything," but if it's taught me two things, it's that you really can't say what you will and won't do in the future, because I have done all sorts of things this year I never would have imagined myself doing until I did them (and sometimes even after I did them).

For example, I watched an entire Ryan Murphy series from start-to-finish and I found myself only mildly hating it and everyone who likes it.

While we're on the subject of hatred--

Hatred might be too strong a word for it, but I strongly dislike so many more people than I did before this pandemic.

And I'm not talking about Republicans I've never met or the general "people" we use when talking about the collective aggravating populace that we aim all our anger at generally so as not to channel it into one person wherein they would probably just explode.

I'm talking about how I have now made it ten months into a pandemic, while running a theater, and I have watched, as people who I'm sure still consider themselves my friends, have not only not checked in to see how I'm doing or how my theater is doing or if there even will be a theater by this time next year, and yet, seem to have all the time in the world to promote the work of theaters they're never going to work or have barely worked with or just want to be associated with because those theaters seem cool and they want to be seen as being cool by association.

Because I only allow myself one of these meandering essays a week, and because I think I've been pretty docile (for me) all throughout these past few months, let me take this opportunity to say to those people--

Fuck right off.

While I hope to be more serene next year and not consumed by anger, I think any reasonable person would forgive me for holding on tight to my very long memory. While I don't plan on confronting every single opportunist that has now made themselves known to me, I will say that I've found something akin to inner peace when I think of some of those people and realize that all their ass-kissing is not going to get them anywhere, and, for that matter, I no longer need to worry about them.

The number of bells I no longer need to answer has gone up exponentially this year, and my gosh, what am I going to do with all this shelf space where I used to keep those noisy-ass bells?

But for the last thing I'll write this year to be so consumed by irritation seems unfortunate and in poor taste, at least for the seven of you who read this, so let's pivot to something more uplifting.

How excited are we that when we're finally all able to hang out again, all our friends who used to flake on us are now going to feel ten times guiltier than they ever did before, because as soon as they text that they're feeling tired, the Ghost of 2020 is going to appear before them and slap them with one of the board games they put back in the closet, hoping never to see it again.

When I tell you that I am going to go to the first concert it is safe for me to go to, I mean the very first concert.

I don't care if it's Baby Shark Live! 

I am there. 

I am swimming. 

I am swimming with sharks.

But going back to anger--

Personally, I am so glad that 2020 was the death of civility. Honesty, to hell with civility. Civility has allowed a lot of bullshit to go unchecked for a long, long time. Maybe because we all don't want every interaction we have with each other to be like something out of a Bravo reunion, but nevertheless, as a child of the reality tv 90's, I am more than happy to stop being polite, and start getting real.

As long as nobody gets real about me.

Like, the minute it becomes about me and my bullshit, I'm just going to deactivate everything and then good luck figuring out what to do next.

We have decided, as a society, that the worst thing we can do to people is make it impossible for them to tweet, while, at the same time, agreeing that Twitter is a nightmare.

By the way, how did we decide that Facebook is bad but Instagram is great? Have you all...seen Instagram lately? It's...Wow, it's so bad. I mean, Facebook is bad, but Instagram is literally designed to give you depression. Facebook might be designed to infuriate you, but I'd rather be mad than depressed. Mad will give you a hole in the wall, depression will give you a week where you convince yourself you're going to shower as soon as you're done learning chess because The Queen's Gambit made it look so easy.

I promise I will not be very good at chess by this time next year, but I will play it once a day, because routines are now my religion. I am Desmond from Lost punching in those numbers in the bunker over and over again, knowing deep down it's pointless, and not caring, because what the hell else am I going to do?

Poor Desmond.

He didn't even have Hulu.

Am I at all excited for next year?

Sure.

And if I'm not excited, or if I'm scared, it's not because next year might be worse, but because it might just be...more of the same.

I think the drama queen in me could actually weather things getting worse, because if you've ever been through tech week for a musical, you're used to the slow dread of knowing everything will get more horrible before it gets slightly less horrible.

It's the possibility of this becoming a new, true norm that would make the next twelve months seem unbearable.

Even if that's the case, I believe you can adjust to anything, and within that adjustment comes a new form of enjoyment that isn't anywhere near as good as the last form of enjoyment, but luckily, whereas I do have a long memory, my memory for past happiness is shoddy at best. I've found myself this year finding bursts of happiness and thinking--

But I can't be happy, right? It's inappropriate, but also, it just...can't be possible...right?

Right?

I think we just need to make one unreasonable promise to ourselves that seems more manageable than every other unreasonable promise we might make.

Let's promise to chase after and seek and hunt down three moments of solid joy.

Absolute, inexcusable, no-need-to-explain it--

Joy.

That's going to be my goal.

Could I find more than three?

Most likely.

But why set the bar higher than "Bare Minimum" at this point?

If you can tell yourself honestly that you will, no doubt about it, find three moments of joy in 2021 then--

That's something to look forward to, isn't it?

And how interesting is that?

Being able to look forward to something, not knowing what it is, but knowing it's going to be joyful.

Because, for once, the odds are in your favor.

Happy New Year, Everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making