Skip to main content

Let's Rank How Irritated I Am By People Watching WandaVision

 





One of my favorite shows this year so far has been WandaVision.

Subsequently, one of my least favorite parts about being on social media this year has been watching people react to WandaVision.

So I thought I'd rank how irritated I am by the various responses to the show.

Here we go--

People Who Actually Thought the First Two Episodes Were Going to Be What the Show Was Like the Entire Time

There is now a new litmus test for intelligence, and it's called--

Did you watch WandaVision and think the first two episodes were going to be what the show was like the entire time?

I guess the follow-up question would be--

Before you hopped on social media to complain about it, did you bother to Google the source material to find out you were wrong?

The fact that there are people in America who I am connected to on various digital platforms who are so bad at reading context clues they thought Marvel would spend millions of dollars and launch a content onslaught on a fairly new streaming service with a sitcom parody and nothing deeper is very disturbing to me.

People Who Might Have Figured Out It Wasn't Always Going to Be Like the First Two Episodes But Felt It Was Moving Too Slow

Can I ask you people something?

Do you have...something better to do?

Truly, like, do you have big plans in the midst of (and yes, we're in the midst, and not towards the end) a pandemic, to the point where a half hour show isn't moving fast enough for you and you'd really like it to go quicker.

It's like the people who complained that nobody got kicked off the first three weeks of Drag Race.

Kitten, don't you want to stretch this stuff out?  I am one binge away from having no content left to watch, so I am fine with letting artists take their time in building something.

And it's not like nothing is happening.

Plenty was happening.

You just had to pay attention and not be on your phone the whole time the way some of you are when you're watching movies you then claim not to like because you were only giving them half your focus. That's a subset of this group, but it is an equally irritating subset.

People Who Are Complaining That They Have to Watch Other Things In Order to Get the Most Out of WandaVision

Folks, Marvel has now been around for over a decade.

If you've been living under a rock and you haven't heard about the MCU, then I don't know how you found out about WandaVision.

What's more--

I don't know why you would want to watch WandaVision if you've skipped every other Marvel movie.

What was it about this particular project that interested you if nothing else from this company has?

I'm actually thrilled that there's a show out there that rewards investment.

We used to beg for this kind of ambitious project years ago, and the argument was, you couldn't have it, because before streaming, it was too hard to catch up on something that required it for enjoyment.

Do you kids today realize that we used to have to start watching shows after hearing that they were good, and usually, by then, the show was probably halfway through its first season, and then, you had to wait for reruns to come around to catch up on what you missed, which meant you had to watch the whole thing out of order, and YOU HAD TO BE HOME WHEN IT ALL AIRED.

I got into General Hospital in junior high school, and I had to piece together clues to figure out what was going on after the show had already been on the air for forty years.

And I did it.

Happily.

Because it was fun.

It was fun to discover more about something I liked.

If I hadn't liked it, I wouldn't have watched it.

That's an option you have by the way.

If you don't like something, you can not engage with it and just leave it for the people who like it.

That might sound like gatekeeping, but being a fan shares a lot of similarities with being a good houseguest. Yes, the host should be welcoming, but you also shouldn't show up in the middle of a kitchen renovation and comment on how ugly the sink is.

That was how hard we used to work to love the things we loved. Now get off my porch, I'm tired and Diagnosis Murder is on Peacock.

People Who Ask "What's This About?" on Social Media

I've said this before, and I'll say it again--

Google.

Google It.

Your friends' comment section is not a search engine and they don't want to spoil the show for others by answering your questions about a show you're probably not even going to watch.

G-O-O-G-L-E.

I am so glad Facebook wasn't what it was back when Lost was on the air, because holy cow, I would have had to become one of those terrible people who delete their Facebook and then make a five-page post about it.

The MCU is one of the most ambitious and well-executed overarching cultural ventures that's even been undertaken and some of you want it to go faster, require less investment, and be interesting while still spoon-feeding you the entire time so you can tweet as you watch.

Get a grip.

And whatever you do, do not watch Twin Peaks.

Trust me, it'll only irritate you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making