Skip to main content

All My Thoughts on the Oscars in Real Time




- So it's the Oscars but we're aiming for Quentin Tarrantino with the Clueless font?

- Just let Regina keep that extra Oscar. She earned it. Do you know how hard it is to FILM a PLAY and make it feel like a movie?

- I gotta say, I don't hate the HD, but if any of you ever try to film me in it, I'll murder you #NotThesePores

- This looks like the club from The Rocketeer, and that's, as you know, a HUGE COMPLIMENT.

- Some of you were already throwing shade at what people were wearing. Meanwhile you haven't put on anything but sweats and an AC/DC t-shirt for the past thirteen months.

- I take it back, I love this color scheme/font.

- I want those Oscar lampshades.

- I saw some of you saying you didn't care for "Promising Young Woman" and then I didn't see anything else you had to say, because I blocked you immediately. This is a PYW stan account and always will be.

- EMERALD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- I would be so terrified to walk down those stairs, let alone in a dress.

- Only British people should win awards. They just do it better. Award show speeches, Shakespeare, and fish and chips.

- FIRST SAVED BY THE BELL SHOUT-OUT!

- I cannot BELIEVE they made that movie in twenty-three days. My god. It takes me twenty-three days just to vacuum my living room.

- Remember when they filmed the VMA's in HD years ago and it didn't quite feel live? I think that might be why it doesn't feel as urgent.

- Are they really making Regina King reading all of Wikipedia right now?

- How is Borat an adapted screenplay? I should have asked that sooner.

- Mmmmmmmm "Nomadland" deserved Best Adapted Screenplay. The film was the play with a camera aimed at it. Gorgeous film, but I wouldn't say much adapting went on there.

- The people who win at the beginning of the night get to give longer speeches, and I always assume the people who win at the end must resent them so much.

- Remember last year when everyone who won was really good, but they all won for terrible roles in boring movies?

- I'm sorry, but I will never watch a movie titled "The Man Who Sold His Skin."

- They are letting these speeches go on for wayyyyyy too long. Like, even by awards show standards, too long. Way too long.

- Lakeith being in Supporting is so insane. I just cannot imagine the people who put him in that category actually watched that film.

- Please stop having them present from the audience. I do not like this part.

- In a year where most people saw none of these movies, wouldn't it have been more important than ever to show clips from the films?

- Did Laura Dern just say she grew up with deaf parents?  Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd aren't deaf, are they?  I'm....wait, what?

- They might as well have had Sacha Baron Cohen stand in front of a kangaroo. It looks ridiculous.

- Are they just letting them spitball what they like about these performances?  I know this has the potential to seem meaningful, but it's kind of all over the place.

- DANIEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The moment after Daniel said "My Mom, My Dad--they had sex" when they cut to his Mom? That was fantastic.

- Everything about "West Side Story" being remade confuses me.

Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson!!!!!!!!

- I can't believe Roberto Benigni made TWO Pinocchio movies.

- I still don't understand why we could have a SUPER BOWL but not a regular Oscar ceremony. You really expect me to believe all these millionaires haven't been vaccinated for months? C'mon now.

- You're honoring the healthcare workers by having them stand in the lobby?

- Why are they doing Best Director so SOON?

- Oscars, it's okay to use subtitles. That was Bong Joon-ho's entire message last year.

- CHLOE ZHAO! The second woman ever to win Best Director.

- I really love PYW, but what she did with "Nomadland" was astounding. My friend Jenny was right when she said it was unlike anything else. A truly special film.

- I still wish some of these history-making moments were happening with all the fanfare they deserve. The scaled down aspects are sometimes nice, but that moment deserved to happen on the biggest stage possible.

- Riz makes me want children. His children. Many of them. Triplets even.

- Imagine being that hot AND British? And he's playing Hamlet soon? Somebody get me a cold towel.

- I hated Mank...so much. So, so much.

- Not as much as Green Book, but pretty close.

- Why are people accepting their awards from the windiest place on Earth?

- It's like they're handing them the award right before they board a waiting helicopter.

- Anytime someone thanks Joey Bada$$ in a speech, I'm thrilled.

- I was going to say they should celebrate big anniversaries of Oscar-winning movies, but then I looked up what this year would have celebrated--The King's Speech was ten years ago and Crash was fifteen years ago and Gladiator was twenty years ago and Braveheart was twenty-five years ago, so....Maybe not.

- Reese shouting out The Secrets of NIMH is a highlight for me.

- Oh, I loved Onward so much.

- Did they just set off an air-horn and then play "9 to 5?"

- Marlee Matlin looks stunning.

- Really important to remember that the people producing the show have nothing to do with the winners. So if you don't like the winners, there's no reason to hate on the people putting the show together. If you hate the show, however, then go right ahead. So far I'm glad I get to skip ahead, but I wouldn't say it's any more boring than any other Oscars ceremony.

- HOW THE HELL DID CRIP CAMP NOT WIN?

- That must have been one hell of an octopus.

- An octopus beat "Time" and "Crip Camp." Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

- Sorry, wait--CRIP CAMP DID NOT WIN?

- Octopi are #$%-ing creepy. There, I said it.

- Steven Yeun <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

- If he does not become a full-fledged movie star after "Minari" there is no justice in this world.

- Willy Wonka Voice:  TENET. SHOULD. GET. NOTHING.

- Oh god, poor Glenn.

- She's the Susan Lucci of the Oscars.

- Just give her an honorary one at this point, JFC.

- God, now I want Mountain Dew.

- Seriously though, I love Youn Yuh-jung. Absolutely marvelous.

- "How can I win over Glenn Close?"  Ssshhh don't say her name. She'll strike.

- Amanda Seyfried is a lovely person, but Jodie Foster could have had that slot and MANK could have had one less nomination.

- HELP THE WOMAN OFF THE STAGE, BRAD, WHO RAISED YOU?

- A man bun. He's got a man bun. Jen, you're better off.

- GOONIES SHOUT-OUT

- Halle Berry is so outrageously beautiful and I need her to fire her hair and makeup people immediately.

- I cannot get behind MANK winning anything. Even cinematography. The entire thing was just a colossal waste of time and film.

- This is me once again asking you to go watch Sound of Metal if you haven't.

- Tyler Perry's speech was the best of the night.

- OKAY, ZENDAYA. 

- Glenn Close: Zero Oscars, Trent Reznor: Two (Eeeeeek)

- Jon Batiste has an Oscar too, and I am VERY happy about that.

- It's not so much that they're not cutting off the speeches, it's that everyone giving a speech is talking so slowly. It's like An Evening with NPR starring Brad Pitt and Laura Dern.

- H.E.R!!!!!!!

- Why are we playing a GAME and trying to lighten the mood THREE HOURS IN?

- Why would you put an OSCAR right in front of Glenn?  So rude. So uncalled for.

- This game makes me want to claw my face off.

- Glenn deserves an Oscar just for Da Butt bit.

- Angela is the GOAT. Lansbury and Bassett. All the Angela's.

- Dear god, it's nearly three hours and we're just NOW doing the In Memoriam?

- I could listen to Angela read a Bulgarian cookbook.

- Oh, and now we're SPEEDING through the "In Memoriam?"  This is nuts.

- I don't care how you THOUGHT the show was going to end. You do not do Best Picture anything but last. This is so stupid.

- Happy for Nomadland.

- Frances was not acting in that movie. Good for her, but there was no acting there. She's a great actress. There was no acting there. Loved the film. No acting.

- Oh my god, Best Actor. Yikes.

- This is why producers need to know who's winning what. Wow. Oof.

- Okay, well, uh--That was...a year.

- I really think a lot of the upsets were great performances cancelling each other out. Riz and Chadwick must have been neck-and-neck. Andra and Viola were probably also pulling votes from each other (Viola should have been in Supporting) and I'm assuming Crip Camp and Time allowed the octopus to edge out ahead. I hope maybe one feature of post-pandemic life can be reforming how we assign these awards, possibly with ranked choice voting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making