Skip to main content

Dear Bravo

Dear Bravo,

The time has come.

I know it's been a rough year for you. Breaking up with Project Runway would certainly be enough to make me binge on Ben and Jerry's and weep. I know it doesn't make it any easier that all your friends are going to betray you by watching it on Lifetime. Forgive us. We're weak...and none of us like your new boyfriend, The Fashion Show (Kelly Rowland? What's the matter? Was Toni Braxton not available?)

All that aside, you're going in the wrong direction. What makes me say that?

A little show called NYC Prep.

Oh, I know what you're thinking. It's like Gossip Girl BUT REAL! Here's the thing, the fact that Gossip Girl could actually be real is absolutely terrifying to all of us who watch Gossip Girl. Not to mention that none of those NYC Prattlers are anywhere near as attractive as anyone on GG--including Jenny, and that's saying something.

I don't care how good the ratings are. I don't care if some...most...all of my friends like NYC Prep and the other Horsemen of the Apocalypse--The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Some of my friends thought "He's Just Not That Into You" was a good movie. That'll give you some idea of their taste. (Still not convinced? Some of them voluntarily spend time with me in bookstores...not a good scene, I promise you that.)

You're supposed to be better than all this. You came up with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, one of the best make-over shows of all time--until the Fab Five went on every show from Martha Stewart to 60 Minutes.

I'm not saying all your reality shows are bad. Flipping Out is fantastic. I'll watch that crazy gay man go nuts for HOURS given the opportunity. Any of your shows where people exhibit actual talent is definitely a keeper. This means Top Chef...and...um...How about more Top Chef?

(I'm not talking about Top Chef: Masters. It should be called Top Chef: Snoozefest.)

The shows that have to go? All the Housewives, Shear Genius (How many haircutting challenges can you actually come up with?), Top Design (India hosting a show is like me hosting a gay exorcism), The Fashion Show, Workout, NYC Potheads, and--the bane of my existence--

Millionaire Matchmaker

How people can spend more than twenty minutes watching Howard Stern's twin sister pimp out women to ugly rich guys is beyond me.

I have some suggestions as to how to make your network more refined, more sophisticated, more to the liking of the people who used to watch back when James Lipton was your biggest draw.

#1: Bring Back Boy Meets Boy...And This Time Do It Right: No hiding straights amongst the gays, no getting some shallow douchebag to be the catch, no allowing him to have his hag help him pick, and have the whole thing be hosted by--are you ready?--Mr. Daniel Vosovic. Keep it in the Bravo family.

#2: Stick It to the Runway People: Just because you can't have Runway doesn't mean you can't take advantage of its fame. How? By contestant-napping. Gather up all the famous Runway contestants over the years and do an All-Star version. Call it whatever you want--even The Fashion Show, if you must--nobody will care. Put Kenley up against Christian Siriano and I'm there.

#3: Take Top Chef, and Make It Instructional: Tom C's Cooking School. Take people like me, who are disasters in the kitchen, and make them into Top Chefs. That's a spin-off you can bank on. It'll be like Hell's Kitchen meets Made. It'll be fantastic--especially if you can get Marcel to host--I love that little guy.

#4: You Need a Talk Show: Be the first network to have a talk show hosted by a gay man. Find some witty, undiscovered gay guy in his twenties to host a nightly show, and you could be THAT MUCH CLOSER to being considered a real network.

#5: A Reality Show with a Built-In Audience: Two words--Broadway, Backstage.

Feel free to take and use any of these ideas. And if you really can't think of a host for that show...

Just call my agent.

- Kevin -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making