Skip to main content

My Brother's Graduation, A Horror Story

My brother graduated from high school yesterday.

I was so excited to see one of my heroes reach such an important stage in his life.

Then the nightmare began.

Before we begin, I should mention that if you went to Mount St. Charles, you should stop reading this now, because I have absolutely nothing nice to say about their ceremony, school, or students who are not directly related to me.

Now onto the fun.

For one thing, the ceremony was at one o'clock on a Sunday. How festive, right? I can see an afternoon ceremony, but one o'clock is pushing it. Graduations are like the theater--it's just not as much fun when it's a matinee.

Secondly, the ceremony was held in the hockey arena. Yes, you read that right--the hockey arena. Mount St. Charles, for those of you Non-Rhode Islanders, had this incredible hockey dynasty where they imported Canadians and won the state title a million years in a row. Rather than develop an academic record they could be proud of, or other extracurricular specialties, they decided to just focus on the hockey.

The dynasty was brought down a few years ago, but they still insist on having their graduation in a hockey arena, thereby dragging the whole event down to the level of The Harlem Globetrotters.

Now, I understand that hockey probably means a lot to the school, but what about the kids who didn't play hockey? In other words, the MAJORITY of the other students. I loved theater in high school and had a special connection to it, but I still wouldn't have considered it fair if students who didn't do theater were forced to graduate there while I did a monologue from--anyway, I digress.

The problems with the arena, aside from the fact that it was an arena, were that the acoustics were awful, and it was impossible to keep everybody quiet. I graduated from LaSalle in the Cathedral downtown. Cathedrals tend to inspire reverence. They also make you go "Wow, I'm graduating from a school my parents just sunk thousands of dollars into for the past four years!"

Hockey arenas? Not so much.

They also did NOTHING to make the place look more appealing. This made the entire crowd more restless. (It probably didn't help that one o'clock is not exactly "The Listening Hour.")

They also announced the names of the colleges the students would be going to when they handed out their diplomas.

I find this to be unnecessary. I do think you should be proud of whatever college you're going to, but it ends up becoming a competitive thing.

"Lauren Smith...URI" Polite Clapping.
"Donald Brown...Rhode Island College" Police Clapping.
"Amy Adams...Harvard" Insane Clapping and Whooing.

Look, everybody's graduating. It's everybody's day. I just don't see the point in making anybody feel inferior when most of high school is so competitive anyway.

I was sitting next to my brother Ryan, who's attending public school, because after my brother David and myself milked my mother dry from attending two private schools, she didn't have the money to send my brother Ryan--I know, we all feel guilty.

So imagine the look on my brother's face when the class valedictorian actually cracked a joke about public schools in her speech.

I saw my brother flinch, so I leaned over and whispered to him--"We're sitting on folding chairs in a hockey arena. This is as public school as it gets."

After the ceremony, and here comes the strictly hilarious part (I promise) I rode with my grandmother and my cousin to my brother's party.

The problem was that the arena was not designed to hold an event as big as a graduation. (I know, it's called an "arena" but it's actually the size of an auditorium.)

That meant parking was--say it with me--a nightmare.

The road around the building was all one-way, and the entire building emptied out into the front parking lot, which is where everyone was when my grandmother pulled out into the lot and decided that come Hell or High Water, she was getting out.

People were snapping photos, hugging relatives, and having a great time--when a giant Cadillac came (slowly) pushing through the crowd.

My cousin was in the backseat, so she ducked down like Lindsey during a run to Dairy Queen. I tried to hide my face, but to no avail.

This all would have been merely embarrassing rather than humiliating, if my grandmother hadn't rolled down the window and explained the situation to EVERY PERSON WE PASSED.

At one point, she instructed a man taking photos to take her photo. He declined.

Clearly, this was not as special a day as my brother would have hoped, but being the trooper that he is, he only said--

"At least you'll have something to write about later."

Do you see why he's my hero?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making