Skip to main content

Artistic Irresponsibility

I believe the following:

I believe it's a shame that Rhode Island hemorrhages creativity and talent because artists here feel there is limited opportunity for them to make a living--not necessarily to perform, create, etc, but to make money doing so. Now, it's difficult anywhere to make a living being an artist, but I feel like in some ways there has been a command to bring up the castle door. What I mean by that is that it seems like theaters are leaning more towards using the same people they've always used, which in an environment like this, just seems irresponsible to me. I'm not talking strictly about Rhode Island theaters, but in general. Sometimes for fun I'll go online and check out theaters in different areas to see what productions they're doing and what seems to be popular in certain areas. What I see time and again are the same actors used over and over. Now, I'm not saying that all these people don't deserve to be working consistently, but I find it hard to believe that in some of these places--and I'm talking major cities--there are only fifteen or twenty really talented people. Right now I'm working with a large group of people, and amongst them are some people that I had never met before this show or "The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" which I did a few months ago. I think that's a real shame. I think we need to be conscious, especially now, of spreading the wealth in terms of creative opportunities. I know there are people who do actively seek the opportunity to work with new people and put on new work, and I applaud them. I also think, however, that sometimes there's an inclination to find a shininess in people that are non-local that puzzles me. I heard a director once talk about an actor from New York and say how happy he was that he got this particular actor--just because they were from New York. Being from anywhere doesn't necessarily make you talented. I could move to New York and move back and it wouldn't necessarily make me a better actor. So many other cities seem to be closing the doors and only using local people, and yet--here I'm distinctly talking about Rhode Island--here we tend to like to find people from outside the state. Guess what position that puts a lot of local artists in? Not a terrific one.

I find myself using the word irresponsible a lot, and maybe I shouldn't. Nobody says working in the arts is easy. Everyone agrees that, in general, it's a cruel and unfair world. That being said, I don't see why we wouldn't try to help each other through the hard time we're in and use it as an opportunity to challenge ourselves and become an actual community rather than cliques.

That's what I believe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making