Skip to main content

Lunch with the Boys: Friends Defriend Friends' Enemies

I was having lunch with the boys, and Brian had a strange request.

BRIAN: I want you all to defriend Robert Richardson.

Robert Richardson was a friend of Brian's ex, Alex, who had moved to Delaware about two years ago.

To be honest, I think I talked to the guy once, so I didn't have a huge problem with defriending him, but I wasn't about to just do it without asking--

ME: Why?
BRIAN: Because Alex is having all of his friends defriend me.
TURNER: Real mature.
BRIAN: I know! So now I want you guys to defriend him and all his friends.
SCOOTER: No way! Some of those guys are hot!

I could see this wasn't going to be as cut and dry as Brian had hoped.

ME: Brian, how do you know those people are defriending you because of Alex?
BRIAN: Why else would they defriend me? The few times I talked to Rob we had perfectly pleasant conversation.
ME: Maybe Rob no longer feels that's worthy of keeping someone on your friends list TWO YEARS after you last saw them!
BRIAN: Yet, he has ALL OF YOU still on his friends' list.
TURNER: Good point.
BRIAN: So I want you to defriend him, Alex, and all of Alex's friends.
TURNER: And then what? All of Alex's friends' friends?
BRIAN: Just the ones who have defriended me.

Have you seen my Facebook lately? This was the sort of project that would take an entire Top Chef marathon and two blocks of cheese.

ME: Brian, why do you want us to sink to Rob's level?
TURNER: Assuming he's sunk. He may not have sunk.
BRIAN: Believe me, he sunk. He's a big sinker.
SCOOTER: He's a hot sinker, that's what he is.
BRIAN: So you're not going to defriend him because he's hot?
SCOOTER: I'm not going to defriend him because I don't have a reason to!
BRIAN: Your best friend being defriended by him isn't a good enough reason?
ME: First of all, you're not his best friend; I am. I've had to watch him eat pulled pork. That makes me the best friend automatically. Second of all, if it'll make you feel better, I'll defriend Robert Richardson.
BRIAN: Thank you, Kevin. You're a true friend.
ME: Of course, he's NEVER going to notice that, but if it'll make you feel better--

Turner was smiling.

ME: Why are you smiling?
TURNER: Because you're not going to defriend Rob.
ME: Why do you say that?
TURNER: Because he just posted a status today about a new play festival he's doing. He's taking submissions starting tomorrow.
SCOOTER: Oh right! That festival is supposed to be a big deal.

I looked at Brian.

ME: Uh...
BRIAN: YOU'RE UNBELIEVABLE!
ME: Brian, it's not like I like him, but if defriending him means burning a bridge--
BRIAN: You LOVE burning bridges! You burn a bridge a day! It's like eating breakfast for you!
ME: I know! And I need to stop that!
BRIAN: Starting with Rob Richardson?
ME: YES! Starting with Rob Richardson!

Brian stood up.

BRIAN: You know what this means?
SCOOTER: That Kevin's keeping Rob as a friend for nothing because he's never getting chosen for that festival.
ME: Should I tell everyone what you did AFTER you ate the pulled pork?
SCOOTER: Oh look, my plate.
BRIAN: This means Alex has better friends than I do.
TURNER: Oh, now wait a minute--
BRIAN: His friends have completely shunned me. They won't talk to me. They won't acknowledge my presence. And it wouldn't be so bad aside from the fact that what they'll do for Alex, my friends won't do for me.
SCOOTER: Have you ever considered that maybe they never liked you in the first place?

There was a silence. Brian sat down.

ME: That was a really fantastic time to say that, Scooter.
SCOOTER: Oh, come on--
ME: Have you ever thought about going into suicide prevention?
TURNER: Brian, they're jerks. They're ALL jerks.
BRIAN: Then why won't you DEFRIEND THEM?
TURNER: FINE! FINE! FINE! I'll defriend them. I'll defriend them all. Then I'll send messages to them letting them know I've defriended them. Then I'll block them. Then I'll readd them just to block them again. Then I'll add them again, put up a status saying I think they're a bunch of tools, and then I'll defriend them again. Would that make you happy?

. . . . .

BRIAN: You really think they'd readd you that many times?

You think he's bad now?

You should have seen him during the break-up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making