Skip to main content

The Great Spanking Debate

"Basically, you're wrong."

This was my mother's response when I told her that I feel spanking is wrong.

"No, spanking is justified. You, sweetheart, are wrong."

When my mother wants to be condescending, I become "sweetheart."

"Plus you don't get to have an opinion."
"Why?"
"Because you don't have children."
"I was a child."
"That doesn't count."
"That's like a chef telling a customer they don't have a right to question the food."
"When you pay me for raising you, then you can comment."

This is why our arguments go from civil to felony in under five minutes.

"Could you at least admit that some people don't spank and their kids turn out fine?"
"Are you referring to your aunt?"
"Yes."
"That doesn't count."
"Why?"
"Because she's more patient than I was. She's sub-human. Her kids could scream in her face and she'd just take a deep breath and put them in time out."
"I believe that's called good parenting."
"Well, I didn't have the time for that."
"She had just as little time as you did. She worked full-time too. You were both single parents."
"Again, she had patience."
"If you didn't have patience, why did you have kids?"
"Are you suggesting I shouldn't have had you? Are you actually questioning your own existence?"
"YES!"

I hate when people do that--when they make it sound like they were forced to have kids. There are clinics and adoption agencies. Don't tell me you don't have choices.

"Well, look at you on your high horse."

My mother, obviously, disagrees.

"Why don't I go find you a screaming child--"
"That's the thing! I never screamed!"
"You're screaming now!"
"BECAUSE NOW I CAN!"

I also decided to bring up the "Spank a kid and they stop" idea.

"You realize that all of the things you spanked me for did not go away just because you spanked me. You spanked me when I talked back, and I still talked back. I talk back to this day. So clearly, spanking didn't work."
"So what are you trying to say?"
"That it was a quick fix."
"It absolutely was a quick fix."
"You're admitting to that?"
"Yes! I used to work ten hours days! Quick fixes were a blessing! A father who was actually useful would have been a blessing too, but I didn't get that."
"And that was my fault?"
"No, but I was hoping you'd be a little sensitive about it."
"I was hoping you wouldn't trot it out as an excuse but there you go."

I know, I know--I'm a bitch, but as you can see, I was raised by the best.

"Here's the other thing I don't understand: If I had gone to school and punched a kid, I'd have gotten in trouble meaning a spanking. So to teach me not to hit, you'd hit me."
"I didn't hit you. I spanked you."
"Same thing."
"No, it's not."
"No, it really is. It's just more of a ritual."
"Disagree."
"So if a husband were to spank his wife when he was displeased with her, that would be acceptable?"
"Why don't we call up your grandmother? Since you seem to think I came up with this method of discipline out of nowhere. She used to hit. You want to talk about hitting? THAT was hitting. I never hit you like that."
"Grandma says she disagrees with spanking."
"Spanking her grandkids maybe. She's another hypocrite. Maybe that's where you get it from."

Ohhhhhhhh...That's when it was ON.

"Your decisions are your decisions. Not anybody else's."
"And they're not decisions you get to have an issue with until you have a twenty-old kid. Then you can talk about MY decisions."
"You should be able to stand by them."
"And I do."
"Fine, but then stand by the fact that they didn't work, they were humiliating, and in those moments, I really hated you."

That seemed to strike her the most.

"I hated you in those moments, Mom. Your child HATED you. Now think about how many spankings there were and think about me hating you all those times. Maybe then you'll realize why we still don't really get along that well."

That was the end of the conversation.

For now anyway...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making