Skip to main content

The Lovely Bones, or Why People Are Creepy

In the latest Entertainment Weekly, there's a small article dealing with the backlash Peter Jackson is facing for--wait for it--NOT including a graphic rape/murder scene of a little girl in his new movie "The Lovely Bones."

A British newspaper actually took Jackson to task for not including this scene. They're playing it off as him shying away from the hard nature of the book.

The thing is, the book doesn't HAVE a hard nature. Yes, the scene is in the book, but in terms of the overall theme and message of the book, that particular scene does fall into the "take it or leave it" category. It's not essential to the film to show exactly what happened, and to be honest, I'm glad they decided not to show it.

If you read the article, I think Peter Jackson and his partner Fran Walsh make a good case for not including it.

1) They did a computerized sketch of it, and it was very disturbing (obviously). So disturbing, I would imagine, that many people may just walk out of the theater at that point and miss what is probably an absolutely beautiful movie.

2) They didn't want to scar any young actress by putting her through that.

3) Without the scene, they can have a PG-13 movie, and that means younger girls can go see it and perhaps learn a lesson about being more cautious.

Overall, I'm a little upset that people are actually disappointed this scene isn't in the film. I like to think of myself as being pretty liberal, and I don't usually opt for going the easy route artistically, but how a rape scene of a young girl is something people were actually PROMOTING is beyond creepy to me.

Yet another example of how morbid people are getting.

Part of me thinks that there's this bullshit theory that violence legitimizes a film. In reality, it's just that people are so desensitized, they need violent movies to make them feel something. Now they need to go even further and have scenes like this one in films. Am I the only one who thinks we're going to have a lot more pedophiles in twenty years than we do now?

Personally, I don't like violent movies. I've never been a fan of The Godfather. I detest Scarface. I see that there's a direct correlation between these movies' "cool quotient" and the violence they contain, and that offsets me.

Am I being a grandpa here?

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making