Skip to main content

American Idol: Top Eight Girls

I blame Kara for Idol having this group of girls.

I feel like she must have had a hand in pushing through all these guitar-playing girls rather than dynamic singers, which is what's been prevalent in seasons past.

This show is meant to find pop stars, not NECESSARILY musicians. If the performers can play instruments--great. More than that, they need to be able to fire up a stage, and none of these girls can do that.

Even when they do well, they're just okay, because they're not dynamic.

Kara, I'm looking at you.

Here's the girls--in the order they performed:

Katie Stevens: This was sooo lackluster. I thought it was incredibly bland, and it certainly doesn't help that her main criticism from people is that she doesn't have a personality. Last year, Allison wasn't one of my favorites, but she was definitely memorable, and I don't think Katie is, which is unfortunate, because I really like her voice. That being said: Judges, please stop putting children through, because clearly it's not working out.

Sidenote: What was with the split screen? For a second, I thought I was watching Debbie Gibson do "You Light Up My Life."

Siobhan Magnus: Snooooore. This girl should have won Idol back in 1957 when it was called "Jim Croce's Folk Idol." She has no concept of what pop music is, and she's in her own world. If she embraced her strengths, she'd be unstoppable, but she's determined to just be quirky girl, and I'm tired of watching her go off on her own creative tangents.

Lacey Brown: I'm beginning to have a physical reaction upon just seeing this girl. How did someone so unlikable make it this far? Who is voting for this girl? I didn't hate the song, but the girl clearly has no vocal range whatsoever. The look is Peg Bundy--all the way. The performance was like one big single note. Please, please, please send this girl home.

Katelynn Epperly: This was such a huge step back for her, in my opinion. First of all, she needs to stop dressing like the artist of the song she's singing. God help us if she ever sings "If I Could Turn Back Time." It was too Wedding Singer for me (not in a good way) and a little bit worse than karaoke. I can't believe she thought this performance wasn't corny. Is she just completely out of touch? Does Siobhan have competition in that area? I'm so confused.

Didi Benami: I like what she did with the song. She and Lacey are pretty much the same person, but I give Didi the edge. She clearly is more of a musician, and she actually has some range within her. This was the first time during the show when I felt like I would actually like to hear MORE from one of the girls. Best of the night up to that point.

Paige Miles: Note to girls like Paige--when you get this far on Idol, it is not the time to start trying ballads. Keep it uptempo. Keep it flashy, Belt it out like you've never belted it before, and the belt some more. It feels like some of these people have never watched Idol before, because I can't believe Paige doesn't understand that when you have a voice like hers, you don't use it to sing a sad little song like that. I do think she has a great voice, and she's got a great presence, but she's doing all the wrong things with what she's got.

Crystal Bowersox: Remember what I said about lighting up a stage? Crystal is the only girl in this competition who can do it every single week. She took an okay song and knocked it out of the park doing nothing but singing the s**t out of it and playing her guitar. How crazy is it that this girl could actually win this competition? Up until a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have pegged her as anything more than an opening act for The Indigo Girls. I agree with Kara. I would buy this girl's album today.

Lilly Scott: Theme of the night? "What Made You Think...?" This could probably have worked on the soundtrack to a 70's film about hippie cowboys, but it sure as hell didn't work tonight. When you're neck and neck with Crystal every week, you need to be near perfect, and this just wasn't for me. I thought it sounded like a novelty recording, and I thought it ruined the opportunity to end the night and make a lasting impression.

Let's hope the boys pull themselves out of their caskets tomorrow.

That's all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making