Skip to main content

American Idol: Top Ten Girls Recap

Tonight was about notes.

The judges' notes--mostly bad.

And--

Money notes--few and far between until the money note heard 'round the world.

Once again, I fail to see why the performers turn in consistent performances during Hollywood week, they get to this point, the judges say--"Stop doing what you've been doing, and do something else," they do, and then the judges say, "Why aren't you doing what you used to do?"

It's infuriating.

That being said (you'll be hearing me say "that being said" about as much as Randy says "I don't know...") here are the girls in the order in which they performed.

Crystal Bowersox: I loved Crystal's performance tonight. I thought it had soul and focus. Not sure what she came down with yesterday, but it certainly didn't set her back any. Now, I have to say that I don't think this is a girl who can win this competition--she's not flashy enough. But for me, she's one of the few actual musicians on the show.

Haeley Vaughn: I'm really, really upset that she took the note from last week to sing a young song. I feel like the last thing we needed to hear was another version of "The Climb." Then they criticize for not identifying with a bubblegum pop song. I still think she sang it ten times better than Miley's ever has. She needs to put the judges aside and sing songs she believes in--last week shook her confidence, and I can tell that this week is going to destroy her. How dare Kara say she needs another year when the judges PUT HER THROUGH. Can someone explain that to me?

Lacey Brown: Tell me something. Do you really want to listen to this girl for the next two months? I'll admit; it wasn't a bad version of "Kiss Me," but that's not a song you bring to a competition like this. Unfortunately, that's really all her voice can handle. For a clear-cut diva, I'm a little surprised that all she can do is bad folk pop. Again, she shouldn't have taken the note. There's nothing special you can do with that song. Kara was a fool for suggesting it. Haven't we learned from last year not to take song choices from Kara and Randy after they almost trainwrecked Kris Allen? All that said, I hope she goes home this week.

Sidenote: Kara, if you ever refer to "Landslide" as a "depressing" song again, I'll hunt you down and throw maple syrup on you.

Katie Stevens: I absolutely love this girl. Once again, I couldn't get over the voice that was coming out of this girl. She has this great mix of country and R&B. I loved the song choice, and I was happy that she didn't try busting out "Party in the U.S.A." I really have to come down on Ellen for this one--bubblegum pop does not allow girls to sing the way this girl can sing. I do understand what Kara was saying about making an impact, but it would also be nice if she could keep track of age and who-is-singing-what. If these judges don't want young kids in the competition, they need to stop putting them through. A large part of her problem is confidence--same thing with Haeley. Poor thing.

Didi Benami: I thought she did a great job with the song. My concern is that when she makes it to the big stage, and has to perform for a much bigger crowd, she'll falter. Brooke White was great on the small stage, but didn't know what to do for an audience bigger than your average coffee house. I still think she seemed like more of a polished performer than the other people up to that point--maybe because she's out of high school? Duh.

Michelle Delamor: Here's the problem--She needed to sing the s**t out of that song, and she didn't, or couldn't, whatever. Good for her for choosing a unique song, but it wasn't the right song. Her voice just isn't strong enough to keep her in this competition against girls who have more power underneath their voices. I agree with Ellen though--it sounded like her song, and not Creed's, and for that, I applaud her.

Lilly Scott: The judges do this every year and it drives me insane. They put through two people who are so similar, it inevitably becomes which is better. Simon was right. Lily and Crystal are similar, and Crystal is better. She did a great job with the song, but I don't like her. I didn't think there was anything dynamic about her performance, and that's what this show calls for--dynamics. If you look at all the winners, they all have the same quality--they can light up a stage. This girl does not light up a stage. Sorry, next.

Katelyn Epperly: I loved this performance. I agree that it fell into a little bit of a lull at points, but this girl is seriously showing the best range in the competition. I think her look and her ability are an interesting match together. I'd buy her ITunes track, which is not something I can say about a lot of people in this competition. I'll finish with this: The performance was better, but the outfit was WAY better.

Paige Miles: I sort of thought this was a mess. She tried to rely on riffing, but it wasn't working. There wasn't enough power behind it, and I think she needed to actually do less with it. A few things: 1) I think Randy WAS saying he doesn't like the song. 2) It worked for Kelly because they produced the hell out of it. 3) I like the idea of her. Her concept as a performer is really intriguing to me. That sounds weird, huh? Oh well.

Siobhan Magnus: Talk about karaoke. Dear Lord, I like this girl, but she is just too odd and too out of it for this competition. Yes, she has an amazing voice, but you know if they gave her a record career she'd use it to sing Sinead O'Connor and nothing else. One solid money note should not be something you pull out of a bag of tricks; it should something worked into the song that fits. I just don't see her wanting it, and if you don't want it, you gotta go.

That's all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making