Skip to main content

Dissecting 'Genie in a Bottle'

I decided to put my English degree to use and dissect a great piece of literature.

Then I looked at The Good Earth and said--Yeahhhh, I don't think so.

So instead, I've chosen Christina Aguilera's modern classic "Genie in a Bottle."

Let's begin:

-- I feel like I've been locked up tight
For a century of lonely nights --

Okay, right away, we have a master of allusion
A referral to the Arabian Nights
One amazing piece of literature
Doing a throwback to another

But we're getting the perspective of the Genie
Locked up in a bottle
For a hundred years

Waiting to get out

But who, oh who, could get her out of that bottle?

-- Waiting for someone to release me --

Perhaps...a pimp?

-- You're licking your lips and blowing kisses my way
But that dont mean I'm gonna give it away --

The genie has been released
And she's met her first John
A low-down cheapo
Looking for a freebie
In the hot sun
Of the Arabian marketplace

-- Baby, baby, baby
(Baby, baby, baby) --

She gets knocked up a six times
With three real babies
And three parenthetical babies

-- My body's saying let's go --

Oooh, she's a willing little harlot
That bottle was awfully stuffy
And Momma needs to work
To keep her sultan happy

She's out for a night
In the desert
Looking for a few extra humps

-- But my heart is saying no (no) --

The shredded remains of her soul
Aren't feeling so good
About the career choices she's making
Both vocally and, you guessed it

Parenthetically

-- If you wanna be with me
Baby, there's a price you pay --

I think we've established that at this point

-- I'm a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub me the right way --

So we have the play on words
And the direct meaning
Namely, touch my lady bits, Scheherazade

-- If you wanna be with me
I can make your wish come true --

Play on being a genie
And the assumption
That most men wish
To sleep with Barbara Eden

-- You gotta make a big impression
I gotta like what you do --

This genie is a size queen

-- The music's playing and the lights' down low
One more dance and then we're good to go --

Every night our protagonist
Is dancing the night away with Ali Baba
And, most likely, all forty of his thieves
And her feet are getting tiiiiiiiired

She wants to get down to business

-- Waiting for someone
Who needs me --

Hmm, who is she waiting for?

Does her pimp know she has her eye on a better future?

-- Hormones racing at the speed of light
But that don't mean it's gonna be tonight --

Suddenly, this Charity's a lot sweeter
Maybe she's hoping for a life away from all this
A nice little hut in the Sahara

Or maybe she's just sore
Anything's possible

-- Baby, baby, baby
(Baby, baby, baby) --

But what's she going to do
With those three (three) babies?

-- If you wanna be with me
Baby, there's a price you pay
I'm a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub me the right way
If you wanna be with me
I can make your wish come true
Come and set me free, baby
And i'll be with you --

Our tale ends with the genie begging
Begging to go back in the bottle
Or perhaps ride a magic carpet

But more than likely
She's going to wind up like Princess Leia
Chained to Jabba the Hutt
With no Skywalker in sight

There you have it:

"Genie in a Bottle" - a tragic tale of the Middle East, and one of its lost souls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making