Skip to main content

Duncan the Cat (1998-2010)

I'd like to tell you about my cat.

Don't worry; it won't be all that depressing.

You see, Duncan had a good life. A life of twelve wonderful years.

I got him when he was a kitten and my mom had promised me a dog. I wanted to christen him "Horrendous" since he was a mixed breed.

God, I thought, I couldn't even get a showcase cat.

Then on the way back home, he tried sitting on my brother's lap. My brother freaked, jumped up, and I grabbed the cat.

From that point on, we were inseparable.

We drove past a Dunkin Donuts, and I renamed him "Duncan."

He was so small he used to be able to hide anywhere. One time he spent an entire day in a tiny space behind my bed until we heard him meowing.

Duncan would fall asleep curled up next to me, or (his actual favorite sleeping place) directing on my forehead.

I can't tell you how many times I woke up and thought I had died in my sleep and gone to some weird, furry heaven.

That was Duncan.

About a year into his life, he became a fat cat, and would remain so until about a week ago.

He would waddle everywhere, his belly swishing back and forth. Yet he could still prowl. One time he caught a fly in mid-air. It was a proud moment for the entire family. Our little obese leopard could still hunt.

Admittedly, a fat cat is harder to deal with at times than a kitten. While I would work on my homework on the downstairs computer, Duncan would sprawl across the keyboard wanting attention, and there was no playfully shoving him off. You would have to lift him up, put him around your shoulders like a fur coat, and walk him around the room like you were at a charity ball.

This was the only way to appease him for an hour or so.

When we got Peaches, our dog, I could tell Duncan felt a little betrayed. Hadn't he been a good cat? Hadn't he been laid back and easy-going? Had he ever scratched or bit anyone? Had he ever even hissed?

And here we were introducing a manic, hyper hot dog into his life.

At times, I wasn't sure he would forgive us, but he did.

When my Mom and I came home tonight without him, Peaches looked at us and whimpered.

I think that was one of the many times tonight my heart broke.

He'd been getting skinnier and skinnier just in the past week, and tonight we brought him to an all-night hospital where they told us he had kidney failure.

There were a lot of options, but all of them led to him having a depreciated quality of life that would (maybe) last another year before we'd be facing the same decision:

Whether or not to put him down.

I knew we had to do it, but when they brought him in the room, he looked so young again. Like that little kitten we brought home from the shelter.

I kept thinking--He trusts us. We're his family. How can we do this?

But I knew it was the right thing to do.

Since I moved out of my house, he's slept next to my brother, Ryan, every night. He periodically would go around to every bedroom during the night and check on each of us.

I wanted a Saint Bernard that day back in 1998 when I came home with a six-week-old kitten, but in some strange way, I feel like I got my Saint Bernard anyway.

I'm going to miss his little ears.
I'm going to miss holding him like a big fat baby.
I'm going to miss having a cat.

He was a good cat; he really was.

I know, I promised this wouldn't be depressing, and it shouldn't be.

Twelve years is a long time to be lucky, and every day I had him, I was lucky.

I'll miss you, Duncan. You were a real showcase cat after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making