Skip to main content

How I Betrayed My Mother: A Family Comedy

"You betrayed your mother."

This is my mother talking.

"I have been betrayed."

She feels betrayed because my young brother David has decided that at the age of eighteen, he'd like to move out of my Mom's house and get a place with his friends before going to a college in another part of the state.

Knowing that this is something that would drive my mother past eighteen boxes of Kleenex, my brother asked my advice about the situation and then asked me not to tell her that he was thinking of moving out.

I agreed.

...Big Mistake...

I stopped by my Mom's house to say "Hello," and the instant I walked in the door, I knew I was in for it.

David was sitting at the kitchen table looking like a political prisoner.

"She knows."
"What do you mean she knows?"
"She looked through my phone."
"You left your phone in plain sight?!? Are you insane?"

When you live with my mother, you have to act as if you're living in East Berlin. Are you surprised my brother wants to move out?

"Where is she?"
"In her room...waiting for you."
"Oh God..."
"Don't run. She'll find you."

He was right.

I went into my Mom's room. She was sitting on the edge of her bed holding a photo of me and my brothers when we were kids. It makes her feel better when she's upset to remember a time when she had complete control over our lives and everything we did.

I would imagine that Mormon leaders feel the same way about the wives that escape the compounds.

"Hi Mom..."
"You betrayed me."
"I guess we're going right into it, aren't we?"
"How could you keep this from me?"
"He asked me to."
"I"m your mother."
"He's my brother."
"Mother trumps brother."
"Not when it's not life-threatening. He wanted advice on moving out, and I told him it wasn't a good idea."

That threw her. She didn't know that I advised him to stay put until he could save up more money.

For a second, she looked relieved, then she remembered that sting of deception.

"You should have told me."
"One day he might need me, and if he knows that I run to you and spill my guts, then he won't call me. Then he might try driving drunk or eloping in Maine."
"He's supposed to call me. I'm his mother."
"You call your mother when you need money or your laundry done. You call your older brother for everything else."

She looked down at the photo.

"He hates me."

I sat down next to her on the bed.

"He doesn't hate you."
"That's why he wants to leave."
"He wants to leave because you raised him to work hard and want the best for himself. He wants to be independent."
"So it's my fault!"
"You're impossible."
"Is that why you left?"

That's my mom for you. Her kids are her life, and now that her kids are growing up, she's not sure what her life is going to be now.

"I left because I needed to have my own life. And now you can have your own life, Mom. You worked hard all these years. You deserve to have fun for once. And you can't do that with a house full of twenty-somethings."

I could have also reminded her that the odds are my youngest brother Ryan is never going anywhere. Ryan gets lost going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. There's a good chance a house of his own is not in his immediate future.

Instead of saying that, I just gave her a hug.

"I'm sorry I betrayed you."
"It's a mother's burden. Your children turn on you."
"Remind me to never have kids."
"You better have kids. I already have a 'World's Best Grandmother' sweater."

I guess betrayal is a forgivable sin after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making