Skip to main content

Reasons Why I Missed the Show

"Oh sweetie, we were going to go see your show tonight, but then it started to rain. I mean, it was a light rain, but still...I don't like driving in the rain. And it was definitely raining. I mean, it stopped a couple of times, and there was a twenty minute period there where it actually looked sort of sunny, but we didn't know it was going to be a twenty minute period--it could have really started to downpour. That's the thing. You never know. So we didn't end up going. Sorry, sweetie."

"Hey Mister! Sorry we missed your show. I was just so sick. If only it hadn't been the last one. It destroys me that I missed it. It kills me. It utterly eradicates my soul because I had to miss the show. I would give up teeth to go back in time and see it one of the other seventy-eight times you performed it, but you know me, always waiting until the last minute, and then there I was, coughing a few times, and I thought--better to stay in. Too bad it was the last show. Oh God, if only...What? Extended? Until when? Ohhh, um, you know, I think I'm in Bermuda that week. I think I just told Marty to book a trip to Bermuda five minutes from now--I mean, ago, five minutes ago--and so I won't be in town. God, if only I could be in two places at once. Gosh, I'm so sorry, Mister Man."

"Hi Darling! I'm so sorry I missed your show. I thought it was at nine thirty. I know--every show in the world starts between seven and eight, but for some reason, I just thought that yours would start at nine thirty. No clue why. I just thought it did. Nine thirty--that's when I was ready to leave, and then I popped on Facebook, and there it was--eight o'clock. God, I feel so silly. I WAS still able to make that late movie, however, so the evening wasn't totally lost. Sorry again about the show though, darling."

"Heyyyyyyyy Buddy! Sorry I missed your show! I just got soooooo busy. First there was this Dirty Dancing marathon on Friday night. Then on Saturday I had this birthday party for this guy who knows a friend of mine from college that I did a show with once, and then Sunday afternoon I started reading War and Peace and just got totally distracted, and the next thing I knew--whole weekend gone! Man, it sucks being so busy."

"Hello Pumpkin! Sorry I missed your show. To be honest, it just didn't sound like something I was going to like, and so what would have been the point of me being there, right? I mean, I only go to things I think I can respond to creatively. I don't tend to go to anything that involves me thinking, or being uncomfortable, or engaging, or focusing, or concentrating, or listening. So basically, I stick to Christmas pageants and productions of Babes in Arms. Was there even any singing in your play? Oh, yeah, then I definitely wouldn't have liked that."

"Hola Babyface, it's me. I am just so sorry that I missed your show, but honestly, I am so broke. The night of your show, I literally had fifty dollars in my wallet. Oh, I know your show was only ten bucks, but keep in mind, I had to go out drinking that night, plus go out to eat and order at least five appetizers, then pay cover for the club we all went to in order to do the drinking, and the pre-gaming liquor, AND gas AND I needed a new shirt, so ten bucks for your show was just a luxury I can't really afford right now."

"Oh sweetie, we were going to go see your show tonight, but it was just so nice out. I mean, to sit in a theater when it's that nice out just seems crazy, don't you think? Oh, you definitely feel like going out, but not staying inside somewhere. I mean, we did end up staying inside at the restaurant and the movie theater and the mall, but we were walking around in those places. It just feels different. Maybe in the fall when the weather is cooler, we'll come see one of your shows. Not too cool though, or else it's cold, and we don't go see theater in the cold. If it snows or rains or is slightly chilly out, we just don't bother. Of course, this summer it'll get too hot to go out and do anything. It's all about timing, I suppose. Don't they say that in the theater? That it's all about the timing?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making