Skip to main content

Vinny's Barbershop, or How I Wound Up in Salons

When I turned sixteen, I committed my first act of open rebellion.

I stopped going to the barber my mother had taken me to since I was seven.

Well, that's not entirely true. My mother wouldn't take me. She would force my stepfather to take me.

Why, you ask?

Because going to the barber--Vinny--was something you had to do early on a Saturday morning, and it took about four hours.

Getting a haircut became a full-day ordeal when you went to Vinny's, because Vinny liked to talk--and talk, and talk, and talk.

His shop was almost cinematic in how stereotypical it was. Guys would come in, read the paper, chat up Vinny, and then leave--never getting a lock cut off their head.

I should mention that if you went to Vinny's, you were only getting one kind of haircut--a buzzcut.

To get the easiest, and what should be the quickest, haircut would take hours and hours.

It used to drive me insane.

I would sit in one of Vinny's uncomfortable chairs in his tiny waiting room with all assortments of gruff and groggy men, trying to watch whatever was on the two-inch black and white television set he had for entertainment. The only magazines were Sports Illustrated from two years ago, and a couple of old newspapers that Vinny's clientele would read over and over again.

It became clear early on that Vinny's customers didn't actually WANT to get out of there quickly. They had nothing else to do, or they had wives to go home to that would nag them about something, so they liked sitting in that little waiting room and having a few hours off from life.

I, on the other hand, would slowly lose my mind.

People would call the shop to see how long the wait was, and Vinny would always respond with--"Twenty minutes."

I could never figure out if Vinny knew he was lying to these people to get them to come down, knowing that a three-hour wait might deter them, or if he genuinely had no concept of time while he was in his shop.

The latter wouldn't surprise me. If there was any place that defied the laws of physics, it was Vinny's Barbershop.

How else could men with a little bit of hair go around the corner that separated Vinny's work station from the waiting room, and come back around an hour later with only a little bit less hair than they had initially?

There was a loophole that could get you in and out faster, but nobody ever took it.

Over the years, Vinny had an assortment of assistants, none of whom ever lasted for long. Most of them quit, because none of the customers ever went to them, meaning they never made any tips.

Despite the fact that all Vinny did was take a buzzer to your scalp and shave off all your hair, for some reason, people insisted that Vinny was the expert on shaving off hair. If his assistant did it, you'd hear people complaining before the door to the shop even closed.

"Man, look at this. The other guy didn't do this right. Next time, I gotta wait for Vinny."

Oh, poor "other guy." None of them ever had names. They were always "the other guy" and they could never seem to master the art of that illusive hair-styling instrument--the buzzer.

Finally, the week after my sixteenth birthday, I'd have enough. My mom was throwing me a belated party on Sunday, and she wanted me to get a haircut.

"Fine," I said, "I'll go to Aunt Patricia's salon."

My mother looked at me like I said I was going to go pick up a streetwalker.

"Why aren't you going to Vinny's," she asked, as if the old man had dropped dead and nobody told her. What other reason could I have for switching to Aunt's salon even though my Aunt is a professional stylist with one of the best salons in the state, and Vinny's chewing tobacco tends to drool out of his mouth while he's within a foot of your head.

"Because," I said to my mother, taking a deep breath, "I don't feel like wasting half my Saturday just to get all my hair shaved off. I could do that myself in front of the bathroom mirror."

My mother and I went back and forth for about an hour until I finally managed to back her into a corner.

"Mom, I'll tell you what," I said, "If you come with me to Vinny's, I'll get my haircut there."

Now, my mother wasn't completely ignorant to what went on at Vinny's. She had taken me once, and after that, she would use all sorts of bribery to get my stepfather to take me, often giving him twenty dollars more than the haircut cost just so that she wouldn't wind up having to read about the joys of carp in one of Vinny's fishing magazines.

"Fine," she said, "You don't have to go."

I was jubilant, but my excitement was to be short-lived.

A month or so later, I would wind up at my aunt's salon to get my haircut, but five minutes after my mother conceded the Vinny argument, I was in front of the bathroom mirror, watching my mother attempt to buzz off all my hair.

It turns out the buzzer is a tricky instrument after all. Although I think my mother might have nicked my ear one or two more times than was necessary--just to drive the point home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making