Skip to main content

My Ten Least Favorite Shows

A little conversation today about shows I don't enjoy got me to thinking.

There's really no harm in listing the top ten shows I enjoy the least.

After all, these are shows that I would dislike regardless of how any individual production's merit.

So here they are--my top ten least favorite shows.

10.  Lend Me a Tenor

I'm sorry, but any play with blackface in it should not be performed.  I don't care that it's a farce.  I don't care that it fits into the context of the story.  I don't care that it can put behinds in the seats.  It's poorly written and there's BLACKFACE.  Not for me.

9.  Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

I know exactly what you're thinking.  "Oh, but it's FUN!"  Yeah, fun to perform in--dreary to watch.  What was Andrew Lloyd Webber on when he wrote this show?  A pharaoh as Elvis?  A calypso number?  Then a megamix to recap the show YOU JUST WATCHED?  I've seen some spectacular productions of this show, but the show itself?  Thumbs down.

8.  Seussical

What a wasted opportunity.  The Seuss estate wouldn't give the producers the rights to ALL of his work, so the show is really just Horton the Musical with the Cat and the Hat narrating.  Still, when you do it, families turn out in droves, so theater after theater puts it on.  After my last time seeing it, I promised that if my mother was in a future production of it, I wasn't going.  And I mean it.

7.  The Taming of the Shrew

Of all the Shakespeares to do, why oh why would you do a show where the message is "Women should be subservient?"  Oh sure, you can reconceptualize and "wink wink" the message, but why not just...not do it?  Aren't there enough wonderful Shakespeare plays to produce without having to take this dead horse and beat some life into it?

6.  Kiss Me, Kate

Okay, this is a tough one.  There is some fantastic music in here, but for the love of God, can somebody please revise the book to this show?  It is a three-hour long, overwrought mess.  Oh, and the fact that it has chunks of scenes from my #7 pick doesn't help either.  Cut the Shrew, save Cole Porter, and get Paul Rudnick to give that book a kick in the ass.  Just a thought.

5.  Aida, The Wiz, and Hairspray Minus the African-American Actors

If you don't have minorities, don't do these shows.  Otherwise, you have my blessing.  Aside from that, I refuse to sit through a white Aida, and I don't care how "ethnic" she is.

4.  The Star-Spangled Girl

When the author of the play writes in his autobiography that he hates it, and that it has no point, why would you want to put it on?  Anybody?  Anybody?

3.  Lips Together, Teeth Apart

It's kind of crazy to think a play written in the early 90's could be dated, but oh boy, is this one dated.  There was almost a Broadway revival of this play until Megan Mullally backed out.  She might have done everybody involved a favor.

2.  Bye Bye Birdie

Every time I try to listen to this show, it's like trying to show eighteen screaming teenagers into my head. I'm sure at some point the show was delightful, and I realize that Dick Van Dyke and Chita Rivera can do very little wrong, but now that their run in it has been over for decades, can the rest of us PLEASE stop doing this show?

1.  Anything By Neil LaBute

"I'm not really a misogynist!  Or a homophobe!  And I don't need to write for thirty pages just to get three lines of plot!  And my work isn't just for trumped up frat boys and girls who want to sleep with trumped up frat boys.  I'm edgy!"

Please.  Give it a rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making