Skip to main content

The Pop Culture Guy

"You can't possibly think that Rubicon deserved to be canceled.  Have you watched that show more than once?  You have to watch every episode at least three times before you understand the brilliance of it."

This is my friend Daniel, or as I call him, Pop Culture Guy.

In some ways, Daniel is everything I want to be in life.  Since I was a kid, I've been fascinated with pop culture.  Whereas most teenagers have dreams of being athletes or participants in an MTV reality show, I dreamed of being a culture commentator on shows like "Best Week Ever" and "I <3 the 1920's."

When I was younger, I used to absorb pop culture like a sponge made out of a People magazine.

I had every album in the Top Ten, I'd see at least two movies a week, I'd watch endless hours of television, and what I missed, I'd tape and watch later.

Weekends would be spent watching DVD's of old movies and entire seasons of television shows that were canceled before I was born.

I was determined to be the pop culture king.

Then, I got older and pesky things like full-time jobs and sleep got in the way of my obsession.  Suddenly I was watching award shows not knowing who the presenters were, and hearing about a tv show for the first time while it was entering its fourth season.

My obsession lapsed, and I suppose I could have dealt with that, but then I met Daniel.

Daniel was the king I only ever dreamed of being.  He made Young Kevin look like a dabbler when it came to mainstream culture.

He didn't just see movies--he saw them twice.  He didn't just listen to Top 40--he knew every word to every album.  It wasn't good enough for him to simply watch every episode of Battlestar Galactica--he had to own the Spanish language DVD's just in case he met a fellow fan from Madrid.

"Kev, you really can't understand One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest unless you've read the book, seen the movie, seen a stage version, and listened to the soundtrack backwards.  That's the only way to have the full experience."

At first, being friends with Dan was awesome.  Who knew somebody other than me wondered why there was never a Saved by the Bell/California Dreams cross-over episode?

Hanging out with Dan reminded me of who it was I had wanted to be when I was younger.

...Then I remembered why that didn't work out.

Conversations with Dan became a mix of frustrating and downright exhausting.  Forget that I only had a cursory knowledge of most of what he was talking about, but after awhile I just started, well, hating him.

It wasn't good enough for Dan to bring up a song he liked or a book he enjoyed.  He saw me as his protege.  It was his job to make sure that one day I could take over his throne as King of Worthless Knowledge.

"You've never seen Throne of Blood?  Wow, Kev.  I'm not sure I can even look at you right now."

To make matters worse, my love for pop culture had become minimized over the years.  I didn't realize it until I met Dan, but once I started hanging out with him, I figured out that I was actually spending too much time in the world of pop.  If it had been up to me, I would have cut back, but then Dan probably would have tied me to a chair and forced me to listen to Duran Duran's B-Sides.

Being friends with Dan was a little bit like being at a restaurant with someone who demands that you try everything on the menu when you're on a diet and really only want a salad.

"I mean, if you haven't read A Confederacy of Dunces at least seven times, I'm not even sure you can consider yourself a reader."

After awhile, I began phasing Dan out of my life.  Luckily for me, it wasn't that difficult, since he was pretty much always busy with Hitchcock movie marathons or in-depth analysis of the Grammy nominations.

The farther away I got from him, however, the more I realized why I had wanted to be someone like Dan.  Growing up, I was never good at sports.  I wasn't particularly smart.  I couldn't draw or paint or play an instrument.  There was nothing about me that was distinct.  No special talent or skill that wouldn't take years of instruction to master.

Pop culture seemed like an easy area of expertise.  Watch a few movies.  Listen to a few songs.  Reserve Thursday nights for NBC.  Bang--you're a master.

But when the pop culture train started picking up speed, I had been left behind on the platform.  Now there were fifteen cable networks with original programming to follow, not just ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox.

Now independent films that only open in Los Angeles and New York are required viewing if you claim to be a film buff.

ITunes has made it so that there's no excuse for not being able to listen to eight podcasts a week and get the new Arcade Fire album a week before the general public.

Being a pop culture enthusiast used to be a little more than a hobby.  Now, if you even want to have a mild grasp on it, you have to take it in like an addiction.

I got out just in time, but Dan...

He didn't make it.

The last contact I had with him was through e-mail.  He wanted to know if I was interested in seeing Eclipse with him.  I told him that I'm not a fan of the Twilight series.

"That's not the point, Kev," he said, "You're not supposed to see that stuff because you like it.  It's just to keep up with what's happening."

I didn't respond, but I thought to myself--

No, Dan.  All that stuff is supposed to be fun.  Just fun.  You're supposed to like the movies you watch.  You're supposed to enjoy the music you listen to.  It's supposed to be okay when you decide that the book everyone's reading just isn't for you.  That's the point.

But I didn't think he'd get all that, or maybe he just wouldn't have cared.

So instead, I sent along a quote from a guy who really understood pop culture:

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning." ~ Andy Warhol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making