Skip to main content

Coming Out on Myspace


A friend of mine recently made his entire Facebook profile private for a few days until changing it back to its original setting.
When I asked if something he had happened, he told me that he had applied for a job interview and he was worried that if they looked him up online they would see that he was gay, and that it would cost him the job.
"Isn't that illegal," I asked.
"Well," he said, "It's illegal for them to outright deny me the job because I'm gay, but if they find out I'm gay, and decide they don't want to hire me, who's to know?"
Something like my friend's scenario isn't specifically a gay issue.  Employers are going online to find out all sorts of things about their potential employees.  But my friend doesn't have embarrassing photos of himself out drinking, or doing drugs.  He doesn't have obscene wall posts or anything that would make him look like an unreliable worker.
Yet he was still worried about losing a job just because he's gay--and probably for good reason.
The new trend of bosses hunting around online has made it possible for old prejudices to be put into effect--albeit silently, thereby taking away the recourses of the person who isn't hired.
The Internet has become the new closet through which people grappling with their sexuality have to worry about stepping out of.
I experienced it myself when I went on Myspace after an absence of a few years.  I was just curious to see if my page was still there, and after a few tries at the forgotten password, I managed to get access to my old account.
One of the late night comedians said it, and it's true--Myspace is sort of like the Internet's abandoned amusement park now that Facebook has taken over.
I planned on just deleting the page altogether, but there were some nice comments made by my friends and a few photos I liked, so I decided to just leave it up.
That was when I noticed that the Interested In box still said "Women."
Wow, I thought, it really has been a long time.
I corrected it and then logged off, never once thinking it would cause any trouble.  After all, who goes on Myspace anymore anyway?
Within an hour, I received three phone calls from my mother.  I'm out to her, but there are members of my family that I'm not close with who don't know I'm gay.  It's not a conscious decision on my part, it's just that we never see each other and short of holding a family reunion to announce to everyone that I like boys, I figured it didn't matter or not whether they found out.
 Had I known they'd be finding out through Myspace, I might have just had that family reunion.
One of my cousins had seen my updated profile, and called my aunt, who called my grandmother, who called my mom.
By the time my mom called me, the news was all over the family.
"I don't care that you're gay," my mom reiterated, "I just think there are better ways to let people know.  Why even put that information out there?"
My mom means well, she really does.  She was worried that being gay and out online means that some crazy guy might decide to track you down and attack you.  These days, it's not an altogether illogical way of thinking.
Still, I can't past the Straight factor.  If a straight person doesn't have to worry about posting photos of their spouse or significant other online, why should I have to?
It bothered me that I had underestimated the power of the Internet.  I have a new joke amongst my friends that the biggest gossip we know is our own Facebook feed.  It's almost as if social networking sites are designed to point out to people the juiciest and most revealing things that their friends or family are putting online.  Yet I still thought I could throw a personal item about myself out there and it would just sink like a stone in a lake.
Well be careful, because those stones may sink for a moment, but after awhile, everything floats to the top. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making