Skip to main content

The Atheist Doesn't Mind

Recently, a prayer banner was taken down at a local high school in the state where I live. The girl who wanted it removed is an atheist, and invoked separation of church and state. Obviously this set a lot of people off. Rhode Island is a very religious state, which is the reason we've had so much trouble getting people on the same page about gay marriage, whereas in neighboring Massachusetts, there's been much more progress.

Every time I hear about a skirmish over religion, especially regarding separation of church and state, I always feel odd. Part of me thinks I should jump in the midst of the fight and defend my atheist brethren. The other part of me thinks, "Gee, why didn't they just leave well enough alone?"

The truth is--when it comes to church and state--I don't mind.

By which I mean, I don't mind that the separation is, let's face it, non-existent. The white elephant in the room is that our Founding Fathers were obviously hypocrites and religious extremists (blame historical circumstances, I'm not trying to take potshots at Jefferson) so when they set up that separation they left a lot of contradictions behind. The word "God" is everywhere--money, pledges, fast food joints, etc.

Perhaps the Founding Fathers meant separation of church and state to be a sort of "Don't talk about home at work" kind of thing. I'm sure they never anticipated that vast landscape that would one day become American spirituality.

When I say I don't mind that the separation doesn't exist, I don't mean that I'm happy about it. I wish it did exist, but it doesn't, and so I don't think about it all that much. I certainly don't bother invoking it unless religion is being thrust in my face. It seems to me most moderate religious followers of any belief system find bombastic proselytizing to be distasteful. (Why else would Tim Tebow be getting so much flack?)

I haven't been a lifelong atheist. It's something that I've adopted fairly recently, in fact. And when I did, it was something like coming out of the closet all over again. I accepted the fact that not everybody was going to take to it, and that I was going to face prejudice and ignorance. I had to keep reminding myself that my beliefs, just like my sexuality, is personal. I had to remember that I'm in a minority.

That doesn't mean I allow myself to be pushed around, it just means knowing when to fight your battles.

A prayer banner?

I probably wouldn't have fought that battle.

Battles like that do for atheists what fighting Eminem did for GLAAD when they went after him as a homophobe, clearly not understanding him at all. It made GLAAD look stringent, as if they took themselves too seriously and didn't understand art (two things, which, if you're gay, should never apply).

Now atheists seem the same way whenever they go after Christmas displays or the pledge of allegiance.

They're just not fights I want to have.

Maybe it's because, for me, religion is like a relationship that just didn't work out. It doesn't mean I don't love the person I used to date or wish them well, it just means that it wasn't for me. I do believe that most religions, at their core, mean well and promote kindness and generosity. The problem is they've become so warped that more and more people are fleeing towards something that even I, as an atheist, find disheartening--despair.

Being an atheist doesn't mean I don't see the good in people, or the beauty of art, or the fascinating cosmic threads that connect all of us as human beings. It just means I don't accept the idea of god or heaven or hell or--

Well, you get the picture.

I have a belief system. Organized religion just isn't a part of it.

Still, anything that promotes positive energy in the world is not something I'm going to take issue with. I tell everyone that when I did go to church, my favorite part of mass was shaking people's hands and saying "peace be with you." It was such a pure gesture, and to be honest, it's what I miss when I think about going to church. I wish I could do it in a secular way. Just walk up to people on the street and say "Peace be with you." It really is a lovely idea.

So no, I don't mind religion. I mind nutjobs, and extremists, and Bible beaters, and anyone who promotes hate and intolerance.

But religion I can live with. I doubt I'll ever practice it again, but it doesn't bother me that it exists.

As for bellowing about church and state, I'll do it if I feel compelled, but honestly, do we really need any extra arguments in the world?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making