Skip to main content

But I'm Still Scared: A Democrat's Story

I've been a Democrat my entire life. Whereas some people might weigh their beliefs and come to a decision about which party they feel best exemplifies those beliefs, I was simply drawn to the Democratic party like a thirsty rhino to a watering hole.

Yes, I've wavered from time to time.

I was a Hillary supporter, and so I've always been one of those Democrats who's been tough on President Obama. That being said, I do think he's done a good job, but I'm not ignorant. I know many people in this country would like to see him tossed out. In fact, I was sure that if the Republican party found even a mildly suitable candidate for President, the man I voted for in 2008 was probably not going to get reelected.

Lucky for me, it seems that when talking about Republican candidates, the term 'mildly suitable' is aiming too high.

I'll admit that I'm not fond of all Republicans, but I certainly don't consider the ones I know to be stupid or crazy. At worst, I would call the most extreme ones I know misguided.

So, how then does such a large political party with so many people to choose from manage to only select the biggest nutjobs to move towards the front of the line?

Someone suggested to me recently that perhaps this is all a ruse so that Sarah Palin can reenter the race, now seeming less crazy when compared to someone like Michele Bachmann. I'll admit, as strategies go, I've heard worse...

Heck, I've seen worse--at almost every Republican debate so far.

Normally, we have to wait until the general election before we get any good soundbytes from the Republican party, but this year, Christmas came very, very early.

Between Rick Perry's stumbling, Newt Gingrich turning into a cross between Archie Bunker and Marie Antoinette, Hermain Cain becoming the new Charlie Sheen, and--

Well, I think you get the point.

No sooner does a new front-runner emerge than the message boards light up with enough dirt to bury all the candidates under a pile of campaign buttons.

And each front-runner gets...Well, I feel like I'm overusing the word "crazy" here, but considering how well these people embody the term...

As a gay man, it is not lost on me that all of these people have chosen to be very vocal about just how much they don't like me. As a citizen, what offends me more, is that they seem to think I'm the biggest problem with America--not poverty, not drugs, not crime--me. Me and the fact that I can kiss another boy without being stoned to death in the public square.

Meanwhile, all my fellow Democrats laugh and sigh with relief.

We've got this, they think. The election's in the bag. What looked like a shutout now seems like a slam dunk. They're sure that even people who hate President Obama certainly won't vote for any of these clowns. Once again, "voting for the lesser of two evils" has prevailed for the...less...evil...one.

But I'm still scared.

I like our President, and I think with four more years (crucial years where he doesn't have to worry about campaigning for reelection), he could really take off. I certainly don't think he's the lesser of two evils. And I would love to be able to believe that the Democrats have this one in the bag, but...

But I'm still scared.

I'm scared because whereas during the last election, the Democratic convention was filled with people standing at a podium saying "We can't take four more years of the Bush administration" I didn't think the situation was that dire.

Oh sure, I wanted Obama to win, but I actually did sort of like McCain. Don't get me wrong, I didn't vote for him, but I didn't believe that if he won, the world would collapse. If we survived Bush (who I really didn't like) then we could certainly handle McCain, even if Sarah Palin was strapped to his back like a rabid pet monkey.

But when it comes to these candidates--I'm not so sure we could survive them.

These aren't Republicans. These are extremists.

I look at them on television. I look in their eyes, and I see the same blazing fanaticism you normally only see when you look at old photos of kamikaze pilots.

These people will torpedo us.

All of them want to tear down everything that's been done over the past four years. Some of them think that God speaks directly to them. And again, all of them hate me.

So, yes, I'm concerned.

Because while I toast the President in my quaint little New England Starbucks, I'm aware that across the country a lot of people are out of work, and frustrated, and haven't experienced any improvement in their lives over the last four years.

And they want someone to blame.

And they'll vote for a wax turtle as long as its last name isn't Obama.

(In some cases, I think a wax turtle would be preferable to someone like Rick Santorum.)

So I'll let everybody else start the victory parties early, but I'm holding off. Oh sure, I know the President can clobber most of these people in a debate. Oh sure, I know that once he starts putting his record out there, more people will see that we are better off than we were four years ago. Oh sure, I know that if there's one thing Barack Obama is good at, it's pulling out all the stops to get elected.

I know all this.

But I also know that nothing's a sure thing.

And I'm scared that next year, the clown we're all laughing at now, may be laughing at us from the Oval Office.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making