Skip to main content

A Conversation About Sex and Relationships

The following is a semi-factual conversation that may or may not have happened between myself and a guy I had a relationship/fling/thing with at some point.

Let's join this paraphrased, quasi-real conversation already in progress.

ME: ...So you slept with the guy?

MAN: Yeah.

ME: Um, okay. That's a little...uh...Gosh, I really don't want to say hypocritical, but...

MAN: How am I a hypocrite?

ME: Um, well, remember when you said we couldn't hang out or date anymore because you thought I was just looking for something physical and you were looking for a relationship?

MAN: You mean because you said you were just looking for friends with benefits and I wanted something meaningful so I don't wind up old and alone?

ME: Wow, you're good at summarizing. And yes, that does, um, kind of--yeah, that's what happened.

MAN: Okay, and?

ME: Well, you just hooked up with someone. On the first date. So, clearly, that whole 'looking for a relationship thing--'

MAN: He said he was looking for a relationship.

ME: Oh, so now you're dating?

MAN: No.

ME: So, you're going on another date?

MAN: No.

ME: So, he found out that he has to move to Newfoundland effective immediately?

MAN: No. He just changed his mind about wanting a relationship.

ME: After you slept together?

MAN: Yes.

ME: That means he told you he wanted a relationship because he knew you wouldn't have sex with him if he came right out and told you sex was all he was looking for so instead he lied to you, and you believed him, and now he doesn't want to talk to you anymore.

MAN: That was a pretty mean summary.

ME: Did you actually think he was looking for a relationship when he pulled your pants down two hours into the date?

MAN: First of all, it was an hour and a half into the date, second of all, he took my shirt off first, and third of all, I don't know. I mean, I don't object to sex on the first date if the person's looking for something serious.

ME: But the thing is, people who are looking for something serious don't usually have sex on the first date.

MAN: Okay, so maybe I knew he was just looking for sex.

ME: So then why did you sleep with him?

MAN: Because at least he said he was looking for a relationship.

ME: You slept with him because he lied to you and you knew he lied but you liked the lie and you probably wanted to sleep with him anyway?

MAN: Again, you're a Mean Summarizer.

ME: So I was a giant slut for wanting an open, direct, communicative adult friendship that may or may not involve sex but guys who lie and say they want a boyfriend so they can hook up with someone and then never speak to them again aren't?

MAN: Um, I'm not supposed to say 'Yes,' right?

ME: Why is it bad to just say you're not looking for anything serious but that you aren't opposed to physical interaction as long as it's responsible?

MAN: Because relationships are awesome.

ME: Not always! I mean, sometimes. I've been in them. They were nice. But I don't want one now. That doesn't make me a giant man-whore.

MAN: I mean, I guess you would have to get paid to be a whore technically.

ME: Let me ask you something--Why is it if I sleep with five guys in, like, three months, I'm promiscuous, but if I were to change my relationship status on Facebook every time I do and list those guys as my 'boyfriends' then I'm a 'relationship' person?

MAN: Because it shows you're able to commit.

ME: No, it doesn't. It shows I'm fickle, I don't know what I want, and I like making single people feel really bad about themselves on Facebook!

MAN: You've got to want a relationship. Nobody likes being alone.

ME: Well, I'd rather be alone than rush into something or be with someone I don't really like.

MAN: But maybe you do like them and then a month goes by and you don't like them anymore.

ME: So maybe you wait two or three months before you officially start dating them exclusively.

MAN: Three months? That's like--half a year!

ME: A year is twelve months long.

MAN: Look, if you want to be a relationship hater, that's fine, but don't judge those of us who do want to be in one and take big steps toward love.

ME: That's a line from a Logo movie, isn't it?

MAN: Yeah, it was playing in the background while me and that guy were hooking up.

ME: I'll Netflix it.

MAN: Really?

ME: No, it sounds awful.

MAN: Yeah, it really was.

I'm not sure what I gained from this conversation, but I do know one thing:

I should never talk to this guy again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making