Skip to main content

Gays, "Comfort," and Theater

Right now, I'm in a play with naked men.

I should rephrase that.

I'm in a play that features nudity (not my own) and a bunch of guys showering.

Homosexuality also plays a part in the script, but it's not directly connected to the nudity.

These are two things you need to know.

For awhile, when I told people about the show I was doing--and by people, I mean straight guys--I would get this response:

"Yeah, I read that script. I'm not sure I would have been comfortable with that."

At first, I thought they meant the nudity, and that's understandable. Not everybody is comfortable with that onstage.

Then, however, I would say--"Oh the nudity?"

And they'd say--"No, just...some of the other stuff. I'd be uncomfortable."

At first I thought, Do they mean the homosexuality?

And then I shot that idea down.

I mean, there's no actual sex in the show.

There aren't guys kissing or making out or even touching, really.

Not that it'd be okay for these guys to have a problem with that if it WAS in the script. I mean, after all, yes these are straight guys, but they're also actors.

Do you have any idea how many girls I've had to kiss onstage?

So I shot the idea down.

But then I picked it back up again, when I actually was told by one of the guys--

"The homosexuality isn't something I'm comfortable dealing with onstage."

Now, here's something I've noticed.

People seem to think by saying they're not "comfortable" with something, it automatically gives them a get out of jail free card.

What I mean by that is, it's not okay to be homophobic in today's society, but it's okay to say you're not "comfortable" with homosexuality--even though it's the exact same thing.

Imagine someone saying--"I don't have a problem with African-Americans, I'm just not comfortable being around them."

Both parts of that statement sound racist, right?

Yes. Yes, they do. Because they are.

I resent the word "comfort" being thrown around with regards to straight men and their mildly suppressed homophobia, not because it's, you know, homophobia, but because it's something that really ticks me off.

A word being used to describe something it isn't.

Look, there are lots of things I'm not comfortable with onstage. I'm not comfortable with singing, dancing, stage combat, juggling, or working with children under the age of ten.

But if the play calls for it, I do it. It doesn't matter if I'm comfortable with it or not. Hell, nothing about theater should be comfortable. You're in front of groups of people playing a character and doing who knows what else. It's uncomfortable, but it's rewarding.

Most actors, including, I think, most of these straight guys, understand that and are okay with it. But when they need a reason why they can't do something because they object to it for an embarrassing reason (aka their own prejudices) they use the word "comfort."

When comfort has nothing to do with it.

Or maybe it does, but the fact is, that is NOT a get out of jail free card.

If you're uncomfortable playing a gay man or being in a play that deals with homosexuality, and it's a good play and/or a great role, you deal with it. Because you're an artist. Because you make art. Because prejudice and bigotry and homophobia and ignorance have no place in an artistic community.

I've seen people trip over themselves to play killers or nutjobs or sadists, but playing a homosexual makes them uncomfortable?

Well, that's unacceptable.

I know nowadays we're supposed to be nice, especially when it comes to actors, but I'm not being nice.

It's unacceptable.

As an actor, you should embrace things that make you uncomfortable. You should try to use those things to enlighten you--to make you a better and more open-minded person.

And most of all, you should be ashamed of whatever prejudices you have, and be working on them--not dressing them up with the word "uncomfortable" and thinking that's somehow okay.

It's not.

Unless you want to stop referring to yourself as an actor altogether, in which case--

Be my guest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making