Skip to main content

Printing the Press Release

I've noticed a disturbing trend in the media lately, especially in regards to the arts and criticism. I would jokingly call it "Printing the Press Release." When I first started using the term, I could tell people just though I was being cynical. To be honest, I felt a little cynical. A part of me felt like one of those conspiracy theorists who think the Easter Bunny killed Lincoln. Now, rather than feel like maybe I was onto something all along, I tend to think that the situation has just gotten much, much worse.

So what kind of situation am I talking about?

Mainly, I'm talking about journalistic laziness. Then again, that doesn't really seem fair, since my targets here are reviewers and reviewers are not journalists. Then again, with newspapers quickly going the way of the cotton gin, like it or not, reviewers are having to do double duty as both arts writers AND critics. That means the same person who writes a two-page feature on a production where he/she writes about how interesting it sounds might then have to turn around and bash the whole thing a week later.

That, to me, has always seemed a little...awkward.

It seems to be the journalistic equivalent of befriending some kid on the playground only to turn around and tell all the other kids that the new kid's second act isn't as fully developed as it should be.

(Okay, maybe that's a weak metaphor.)

The point is, lately, I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews, but the quality of writing has gone down, down, down. Instead of seeing any actual commentary on a given production, I'm mainly seeing a rehashing of the show's press release.

This isn't only happening in the arts, but I don't want to go down the rickety road of examining political spin and the impact of the media and objectivity when all I really want to ask is--"When did everybody get so lazy?"

I know, I know--budgets are getting cut, there's less room for theater reviews, etc., etc.

But even with less room, can't these critics find a way of writing something intelligent? Personally, I tend to find that when I'm forced to be concise, I do my best work (which is why I'm just going to end this article here...okay, maybe in a few more lines).

I swear lately I've seen whole phrases lifted out of a press release and put right into a review. (Okay maybe I'm making that up, or maybe I'm just too tired to go find any examples of that, but trust me, I'm not far off.)

My favorite example would have to be a critic complimenting the previous work of a director that he hadn't actually seen.

Let me repeat that: In a review for a director's sophomore effort, he praised the freshman effort never having seen it. When he did, he used the same adjective to describe it as the press release did.

Oh look, there's my example. I'd get more specific, but I don't want to start calling out names, otherwise I'll never stop.

There are a lot of ways in which the press releases seem to be feeding the critics. One will say a certain performance in the show is a "tour de force" and sure enough, the critics will zero in on that performance and pretty much disregard the other actors in the show. Another press release will say that it's production is a "must see" and pretty soon, the critics are echoing that statement.

In other words, the press releases are now reading like advanced reviews, and the critics figure--"Hey, why bother writing our own reviews when they're doing it for us?"

What bothers me about this is that for me, there's art and then there's the conversation that revolves around and about art. A few days ago, I found a quote by David Hockney that I like very much. It's this: "It is very good advice to believe only what an artist does, rather than what he says about his work."

Basically, don't (necessarily) believe the press release. It's there to do a job, and that's sell the production. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's the audience and the critics and whoever else takes in the work to discuss, enjoy, and dissect it. "Dissect" may be too scary a word. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the critics seem to be finding positive things to say, but can't they be positive and analytical at the same time.

Why aren't I reading about how a show impacted them or what sort of social commentary the production was making (if any) or--and this is a huge annoyance of mine--whether or not the flaws in the show should be attributed to the play itself or to the production?

It just seems to me like letting the marketing department of a theater inform you about what you should think of the show their theater is putting on is allowing a large part of the theatrical experience to be taken away from you. A reviewer should be the person prompting discussion, inspiring people to talk about what they've seen, and pointing out nuances and subtleties that the audience might have missed--not jotting down who played what and summarizing the show. I remember that on the first day of freshman year of college, as a theater major, I was handed a sheet explaining how to write a review for a play. The first bullet point informed me that I could spend no more than a paragraph summarizing the show. Recently, I've seen reviewers take up whole pages doing nothing but that. Maybe I should e-mail them that sheet. It's probably stuck in the middle of my Introduction to Computer Science textbook.

(Note to Critics: If you're reviewing something like, oh I don't know, Cats or Romeo and Juliet, you don't need to summarize it. I think most of us know the story, and those who don't can be surprised. By the way, sorry if you actually do have to sit through Cats.)

Look, I realize times are tough, and editors are tough, and the critics just want to get home and watch Person of Interest like the rest of us, but how can we, as an artistic community, expect people to care about what we do, if the people who are paid to care about what we do can't even muster up enough enthusiasm to write something too long to fit on a fortune cookie?

Feel free to disagree with me on all or any of this. I think all of this should be up for a good, long discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making