Skip to main content

Art and Domesticity

I got into more than a few arguments with friends of mine when I posted a status saying "I've lost more friends to marriage than I have to drugs."

Obviously that was meant to incite people, but sometimes that's just because I incite people when I really just want to converse with them.

(Believe it or not, people are much more likely to get into an argument with you than they are to strike up a conversation with you.)

What I was getting at was, yes, drugs are bad and you shouldn't do drugs BUT I have a particular aversion to people who get into relationships, marriages, have kids, etc, and fall off the face of the earth only to reemerge every so often to cast judgment down on the likes of people who drink or do drugs or carry on in such undomestic fashions.

I'd like to know why it's okay to become an ice-cold, mini-van driving asshole but not a drug addict?

To me, they're equally disappointing.

One's lost their soul to addictive influences, and one has freely given up their soul so that they can have barbecues on the Fourth of the July and talk about 401k's as if it's a subject that's actually interesting.

Where does one group get off judging the other?

And I'm only picking on the domestic crowd because drug addicts aren't known for being the most morally superior group of people (unless you count prescription drug users who happen to be running for political office).

I'm speaking now specifically of artists, when I talk about people who give up their talent so they can "settle down."

What does that even mean in that context?  "Settling down" from what?  Your passion?  Doing what you love?

A person addicted to drugs may eventually get off the drugs, but someone who indulges in unbridled love and marriage may truly never create again.

Okay, I'm being hyperbolic, but seriously--

How many people do you know who are immensely talented but somehow can't find the time anymore to do what it is they love because they're too busy with ballet recitals and/or cleaning up baby vomit?

Not that there isn't anything wonderful or noble with all of that, but why don't we praise BALANCE more?  If drug addicts had moderation, they wouldn't be addicts, and if the Tupperware crowd had balance, they could be passion-filled individuals who then instill that in their offspring.

Instead, we praise one and damn the other.

Well, I, for one, refuse to do that.

To me, wasted talent is wasted talent.  If you're going to throw it away, I'm not going to split hairs about how you did it.

I'm just going to go ahead and label it a waste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making