Skip to main content

The Vision in the Text

I was addressing (addressing, already I sound pretentious) a group of actors who were going to be performing my work.

I'd let them direct themselves, because I wanted to see what would happen when you remove a director from the theatrical experience.

I should mention that I don't hate directors, I just wanted to use this particular show as an experiment.

What would actors do if left to direct themselves?

It's not like it's the first time an actor's directed themselves, but it's not often that an actor gets to direct themselves performing a brand new piece of work that was written for them while the playwright looks on and chews on his fingernails.

(It all sounds sort of sideshow-ish, doesn't it?)

Overall, I was very pleased with the direction most of the performers took their pieces in, and it was helpful for me as a writer to see the actors' instincts at work.

The one that jumped at me more than once, however, was this sense that one of my least favorite words was making its way into the equation:

Vision.

The word "vision" in the context of art, especially theater, usually causes me to break out into hives.

I loathe that word.

Somewhere, once upon a time, some grand art master told everybody who wanted to pursue a career in the arts, especially directors, that they needed to always have a bold, bright vision and to protect that vision like a newborn babe, never allowing it to grow or shift or flex.

As soon as I see a vision at work, I panic.

And for good reason--at least, in my opinion.

If you've read anything else I've written, then you know that I watch a lot of Food Network.  And one of the patterns you see on any number of food shows is that someone is known for making a particular type of food or they have an idea of what they want to do before they're even given a challenge, and they stick to their idea regardless of how poorly it works with the criteria they've been given.

It's so bad that in some instances, a chef has been told specifically not to do something like serve a cold dish, and they did it anyway, because they thought "it would work."

Do you know what "I thought it would work" means?

It means they had an idea, and they didn't want to give it up or try adapting it to the rules in play, so they just said screw it and did what they wanted.

Chefs, in many ways, are like directors.  They think if the end product is good, all else will be forgiven.  That might be true in food, but I don't often find that I let it slide in the theater.

Nothing irritates me more than hearing a director talk about what interests them and how they're going to integrate their interests into a particular play.

I see this all the time with classical plays, because, you know, the playwright's dead, so who's going to complain?

A director decides to do The Seagull and have it be about fire.  Or they do Once in a Lifetime and have all the characters but one be played by puppets.  Streetcar where Blanche is actually the villain and Stanley is misunderstood, and Stella is deaf and blind.

This needs to stop.

You don't bring a vision to a text, you find the vision in the text.

If you can come up with a reason for why The Seagull is about fire, then great.  But if you just happen to think it'll look cool to set Nina aflame at the end of the show, then find a show that fits your interests.

There are a million plays out there; there's no reason to force a concept on a play that doesn't need it.  If I have to see another production of The Taming of the Shrew where Kate's final speech is done tongue-in-cheek because otherwise it's misogynistic.

Look, I don't like that it's misogynistic, but I accept that it's what the play is.  If you don't like it, don't do the play.  In fact, please don't do the play.  Do any other play.

I'm not saying abandon vision altogether, just independent visions that aren't tied to anything.  A vision has to go hand-in-hand with a piece of work.

You can't go into the challenge of directing a play already sure of exactly how it's going to play out.

Let's fact it, even if that worked, it would take all the fun out of doing theater in the first place.

Theater's all about the crazy problems that arise and how you deal with them.

Tunnel vision is the last thing you want, and usually, at the end of that tunnel, is a director with a vision still held tightly in his hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making