Skip to main content

Haven't I Seen This Before?

This week it was announced that Al Pacino would be returning to Broadway in a new revival of Glengarry Glen Ross.  Pacino played the role of Roma in the movie, and this time around he'll be playing Levene, the older salesman.  A few people pointed out that the show was just revived in 2005, and not only revived, but revived well--that production winning the Tony for Best Revival of a Play.  What nobody pointed out was that we don't need another production of Glengarry Glen Ross less than ten years after the last one--even if the Pacino casting is interesting.

Lately, when it comes to seeing theater, I keep asking myself the same question--Haven't I seen this before?

I'm about a month shy of turning twenty-eight, and there are certain plays and musicals I've already seen far too many times for someone who hasn't been on the planet for three full decades.

Most of the time it's not even shows I dislike, but shows that I like and have just seen far too many times so that now I'm starting to dislike them, which is ultimately much sadder.

I remember the first time I saw The Crucible.  I remember thinking it was the greatest thing I've ever seen.  Now when I hear a college or theater is doing it I groan because I've now seen six separate productions of it over the years.  My love for the play has now worn considerably thin.

It's not the fault of the play, but the frustration I feel seeing theaters trot out the same plays over and over again, year after year.  (Does anybody want to see Twelfth Night again?  Anybody?  Can we just agree to put a moratorium on that for at least five years?  Please?  I'm begging.)

With so many new works out there, why is everybody scrambling to remount Hedda Gabler or Three Sisters one more time?

And don't give me that old excuse that audiences like familiar titles.  What would be more appropriate to say is that theaters feel more comfortable working on a show they can present rather than produce because they know the source material is so good their only job will be to not #$%^ it up.

Some of the best local productions this season weren't old chestnuts, but shows most audiences had never seen before:  Clybourne Park at Trinity, August: Osage County at 2nd Story, and boom at the Gamm.

In the case of Clybourne Park, Providence audiences were actually able to see a Tony-award winning play before it even made it to Broadway.  How cool is that?

I'm not saying we should give up on producing the classics, but we need to take them in smaller doses, or at least have a reason for doing them that isn't--"Shakespeare is cheap and it makes us money."  By all means, if you have a great new take on The Importance of Being Earnest, go for it, but if you're just looking to make a quick buck on an old play, well, shame on you.

It's true that the majority of an audience leaving a production of The Glass Menagerie is probably going to be satisfied with what they've seen because of the show's pedigree, but there's no guarantee they're going to be excited or engaged.  And the more they see these shows, I can't help but think, they're going to start to become desensitized to the plays' power.

So please, Scarlett Johansson, don't bring Cat on a Hot Tin Roof back to Broadway for the THIRD time this decade.  Please, Unnamed Producer, don't drag Fiddler back for another go-around.  And Mr. Pacino, I think it's great you want to rediscover a show you know so well in a new role, but why not lend some of that star power to one of the many young playwrights who would love to have their show get a boost of star power.

Trust me, Shakespeare doesn't need the help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making