Skip to main content

The People Who Ruin My Life on Facebook

This seems to happen to me all the time.

I post what I perceive to be an adorable little status that I'm super proud of--the same way a third grader might be proud when he makes his first q-tip snowscape.

The status either contains a witty observation or a note of gratitude or just a statement about something I'm doing.

And then who comes along to ruin it?

The People Who Ruin My Life on Facebook

They have to leave a comment that completely destroys the status you put up, and then you're faced with that awkward dilemma of deleting what they posted or leaving it up for the world to see.

"Hey everybody, look at my status and then look at this hideous barnacle that attached itself to my status!"

Here are a few examples of these jerks and what they do best:

1)  The Debbie Downers

Status:  Such a beautiful day out.  Can't wait to hit the beach!

Comment:  I wish I could go to the beach but it reminds me of when I was attacked by seagulls as a small child.

(Inevitably, somebody else comments by saying something like "I'm so sorry" or " :( " and then the whole thing turns into a German indie flick.  Pretty soon you don't even feel like going to the beach anymore.)

2)  The Broke Jokes

Status:  Going to the movies tonight!

Comment:  I wish I could go to the movies, but I'm broke.  I don't even have money to put gas in my car to get to the movies.  I'm also starving in a cold room right now.

(They're usually the same people who post their own status a day later about how much fun they had at the bar the night before when some poor schmuck got sick of seeing their comments and offered to buy them a drink.  It's all part of their master plan, people.)

3)  The People Who Think You're Always Talking to Them

Status:  God, I can't stand people who don't know how to drive.

Comment:  Um, I know how to drive.  And I really don't like your tone.

(You have to wonder whether these people are egomaniacs or if they think their Newsfeed is really their inbox.  Either way, it's obnoxious.)

4)  The One-Uppers

Status:  Had such a great time in New York today!

Comment:  Aw, the bf and I were going to go to New York, but he surprised me with a trip to Italy instead!  Maybe next time.

(In case you didn't see my eight statuses about my impromptu Italy trip, let me bring the mountain right to you, Mohammed.  Ps.  I'm better than you.  Just so we're clear.)

5)  The TMI Squad

Status:  The new restaurant on Blue Street is great!

Comment:  My grandmother actually worked the corner on Blue Street in the 80's.

(Most of the time, they seem to think their inappropriate personal information is actually a quirky anecdote just waiting to be told.  You can almost hear them begging through the keyboard--Ask me about this, please!  I promise it's really a funny story and not at all as horrifying as it sounds!)

6)  The Dissenting Opinion

Status:  I love the new Leonardo DiCaprio movie!

Comment:  I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio.  He can't act.  All his movies are terrible.

(Hello Good Sir,

I'm just going to disagree with you completely, because your Facebook wall isn't actually a Facebook wall but a public forum where all may come to engage in discourse and chattery.  You must hear my dissenting opinion and then counter it with something of your own.  We shall do this for several hours and then when one of us is too tired to continue, long after everyone else has hit 'Unfollow,' one shall surrender with a smiley face and you'll think twice before posting anything resembling an opinion again.

Sincerely,
Dickhead McAsshole )

7.  The Person Who's Been Living in a Cave for the Last Thousand Years

Status:  The article in Rolling Stone about Megan Fox makes her sound so stupid.

Comment:  Who's Megan Fox and what's Rolling Stone?  Is that a magazine?

(You're probably going to get double-damned with this one, because you know the next comment is going to be--)

Comment:  I hate Megan Fox!  Why would you read about her?  Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

(And then--)

Comment:  Megan Fox killed my father.  Thanks for reminding me.  I wish I had money to go drinking so I forget all this pain...

8.  The 'I'm Going to Make Everything Sexual' Idiot

Status:  My pipes are frozen.  Guess I can't take a shower.

Comment:  You can come shower at my place ;)

(It's always the winkie face--always, always, always the winkie face.  Part of me wonders why they don't just go all out.  If you're going to be a perv, just fully embrace your perv-dom.  Instead of hinting at how gross you are, just say--"Come to my place and I'll let you use my shower in exchange for sexual favors like a common whore.  I think bartering hot water for oral is totally acceptable."  Also, heaven forbid you remind this person that you're taken or that you're not interested in them.  Because then the follow-up comment is--)

Comment:  I was just kidding!  Geez, didn't you see the winkie face?

(And so the winkie face is both insinuating and insuring at the same time.  I could kill whoever thought up emoticons.)

9.  The Elderly Excuse

Status:  The Sound of Music is on!

Comment:  I remember seeing that movie in the theaters!  You're so young!

(Usually when anybody talks about how old they are on Facebook, it's because they want to protect themselves for when they do something stupid later on, like writing on your wall to ask you something instead of messaging you or committing one of the other previously listed grievances.  That's when they trot out the tried-and-true "I'm old.  I don't know how to use on Facebook.  I hate it." --Which begs the question:  Then why are you ON Facebook?  It also makes me want to ask, "How is it your generation put a man on the moon, but differentiating between "Message" and "Write on Wall" is too mind-boggling for you to handle.)

10.  The People Who Are Going to Win an Argument with You By Bringing Up Something Totally Different

Status:  Can anyone explain to me why we don't have better environmental laws?

Comment:  I don't know.  Why don't you ask Charlie Sheen?  He's a millionaire.  Is that right?  Damn liberals.

The problem with this, and any of these people really, is that engaging them in any way is like sticking your hand in a tiger's cage, and by that I mean, these people are so f**king crazy they'd probably eat your hand if you got too close to them.

From now on, I'm just going to start deleting comments at will.

I could just get rid of Facebook, but then look at all the stuff I'd be missing out on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making