Skip to main content

If You Don't Like Me By Now, You May Never, Never, Never Like Me

I always had this very specific idea of what would happen if I became famous.

I believed--truly believed--that if I ever became famous, everybody who dislikes me or didn't believe in me or even all-out hated me would--wait for it--

Change
Their
Mind

No, seriously, this is what I believed.

In the core of my soul.

This only made me want to be famous even more than I already did want to be famous, which was a lot--a whooooooole heck of a lot.

Because how awesome would that be?  To suddenly have--I don't even know what you'd call it?--a clean slate?

To have everybody who has a problem with you suddenly have to say--

"Nope, I was wrong about him.  Kevin's awesome.  Otherwise he wouldn't be famous.  Wow, I feel like a jerk for not realizing it before he was a star."

Then someone I knew got famous--well, sort of famous.

And so I watched his life--via Facebook, you know, the way we all do--and I really expected to see all his former frenemies and all-out enemies to turn around and offer their apologies and beg forgiveness for ever doubting him.

That didn't happen.
That didn't happen at all.

If anything, all those people seemed to hate him even more.  It was like by becoming semi-famous, he was inspiring even more hatred in him.  He seemed to become even more of an asshole than they already thought he was just by the virtue of being successful.

On top of that, people who were on the fence about him, who didn't exactly hate him, but didn't really think he was all that bad, suddenly decided that yes, yes he is an awful person and how could they not have seen that before he became famous?

So--what the hell?

Nobody wants to introduce the "j" word into any conversation when you're talking about acting, and theater, and the arts, or even just people of my generation--

Jealously.

Most of us would rather admit we're alcoholics or addicted to club drugs before we'd admit to being jealous of one of our friends and their achievements.

It's not a popular way of looking at things, but the fact is, most of us see the world as one big competition and we're constantly aware of whether or not we're winning or losing, so when someone takes a big leap ahead, and they're winning by a mile, we have to find a way to deal with that.  Because, as anybody who runs a race or watches sports or knows anything about playing any sort of game knows that if you're not the winner, you're the...

You got it, right?

So the result is jealously, but we can't deal with jealously, so we turn it into all-out disdain instead.

And that means...what?

I mean, really, what does it mean?

That, as a generation, we can either be unsuccessful and have people like us because they don't feel threatened by us OR we can be successful and feel lonely and isolated because people feel bad when they're around us?

Can we just be happy for people?

Of course we can!

And by "we" I don't mean "me" because honestly, it's really hard for me to be happy for someone if I feel like they're taking a piece of the success pie.  I know we all want to believe there's enough of that pie to go around, but--and maybe this is a glass half-empty kinda thing--but I don't believe that.

I mean, they only have so many Oscars to give out every year, right?

Success is, in fact, limited.

And we're all going after it.

And we're going after it in a field that is notoriously competitive and cutthroat and where there are simply not enough jobs to go around for everybody who wants them.

I do have to say though, when I was a kid, all I wanted to be was a movie star.  Now, I'd take just being a working actor, but if I got the chance to be a movie star, I'd be thrilled.

The idea that maybe more than a few people in my life wouldn't be thrilled for me if that happened is seriously disheartening.

It kinda makes you wonder if fame would ultimately be worth it.

...I mean, it would totally be worth it, but...

...Yeah, still, totally worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making