Skip to main content

My Evil Twin Lives on Twitter

During the month of December, in an effort to be full of joy and light, I refrained from posting anything snarky on Facebook.

As a result--and I don't want to be too melodramatic about this, but--I nearly exploded.

The amount of nonsense and tomfoolery I wasn't able to respond to because I was trying to stay positive and only put out good vibes seemed to run rampant.  It was like every idiot in the world (and by "every idiot in the world" I mean people I've chosen to be friends with on Facebook) knew I was out of commission and decided to double down on their bullshit.

That being said, I liked having my Facebook free of neverending threads where people would argue and accuse me of being devoid of humanity (simply because I hate Avatar) or regretful posts that I put up before having my fourth coffee of the day.  Part of me wanted to keep the happy times in place.

But where could I put all that built-up angst and fury so I wouldn't develop an ulcer?

I often say I wish I had an evil twin who could say all the things I want to say and not care when people get mad at him for it.  The problem with me is that even though I have a big mouth and an opinion about everything, I also hate it when people are mad at me, and these two things do not coexist peacefully within my psyche.

The solution?

Twitter.

Yes, I've had a Twitter account for some time, but I don't really use it.  I know all the kids are fleeing Facebook these days and that Twitter is becoming more and more popular.  I know celebrities use it.  I know that I only sound old when I say things like "Where can I see all my retweets?" but I don't care.  Twitter and I just never really clicked.  It was like that guy at the party who you talk to when you see them at parties but who you would never hang out with one-on-one.  I accepted the fact that Twitter had to be in my life, but I didn't have to engage it on a regular basis...

...That is, until I discovered that Twitter was the perfect place for my Snarky Side to reside.

For one thing, everyone's an asshole on Twitter.

I'm serious.  Go on Twitter right now.  You will find a regular beggar's banquet of douchebags and morons.  Why do you think celebrities love it so much?  They can be as awful as they want, and nobody really cares because Twitter is just one long strand of crazy-talk.

Secondly, I don't have that many Followers on Twitter.  Only my actual friends, and they won't care what I say.  I've never tried to up my Follower count, even though I know that how many Followers you have is one day going to be the equivalent of how many Likes you can get when you post a shirtless photo.  I recognize that one day it will be essential for me to up my popularity on Twitter, but for right now, I'm pretty anonymous, and I like it that way.

Thirdly, if anybody does take offense to something I say, at least having a fight on Twitter is more fun than having a fight on Facebook, because then it's a feud, and getting into a Twitter feud will make me feel just like Kirstie Alley, and that's pretty much my version of Nirvana.  I don't even know how you fight with more than one person on Twitter, but it might not even be possible, which is fantastic.  No more threads where my third cousin joins in to tell me he voted for Ron Paul when I'm fighting with somebody about whether or not The Walking Dead is sucking so far this season (it isn't, but it really could have if--Never mind, let's move on.)

So if you're looking for me, I'm on Facebook, and I exist in real life.  And both those guys are reasonably pleasant and easy to talk to.

But if you want to visit the dark recesses of my innermost bitch, head to Twitter.

Personally, I think the Twitter Me is a lot funnier than Facebook/Real Life Me, but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd invite him over for dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making