Skip to main content

Nobody Cares About My Instagram; An Amateur Photographer Cries Into His Beautiful Plate of Food

I made a resolution this year to take more photos.

And then I thought about it and realized nobody really gives a shit about my Instagram.

I mean, it's nice that I can document parts of my life in order to appear interesting and busy all the time, but I guess if I'm being truthful, I seriously doubt anybody is checking my Instagram on an hour basis to see if I'm up to anything new--and by anything new, I mean, something that isn't just new but also photogenic.

The plan was to take three photos a day.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to find three things a day to take photos of?  I guess it's easy if you're Annie Liebovitz and Hillary Clinton is standing in front of you holding a baby from Australia and not wearing any pants, but I don't have shit like that happen to me in my everyday life, so instead I took a picture of snow on my car.

Because--I don't know--I like snow?

I deleted the photo from my phone as soon as I posted it, because I just felt so stupid.  Like, what was I memorializing with that?

Snow?
My car?
The fact that I'm too lazy to brush my windshield off?

I immediately tweeted "IT'S SNOWING ON MY CAR!"--which was already really unnecessary.  Did I honestly need to follow it up with a photo?

Plus, if you want to feel like your life is really boring--start taking pictures.  Trust me, you'll be saying the same thing over and over again:

Oh my God, I do the same thing over and over again.

Hang out with the same people (Myself), eat the same things (Cheese and half a bag of pretzels), and go to the same places (My couch and sometimes CVS when I finally run out of pretzels).

Granted, there are things I refuse to do on Instagram:

1)  Any kind of photo of me taken BY me  (I will totally hand the phone to somebody else and demand that they photograph me and then photoshop the shit out of it, but I draw the line at photographing myself in the mirror--let alone with no shirt on).

2)  A photo of me relaxing at my house just living the good life (My rug is filthy and I'm not vacuuming  nor am I letting any of your assholes judge me, so you're going to just have to live in ignorance as far as "the good life" is concerned).

3)  A picture of me and my friends drinking at the bar we always drink at.  I've taken that photo.  No need to take it again eight thousand times just I have photos of us wearing different clothes.  Nothing to see here, move it along, folks.

But even the stuff I do think is worth photographing comes into question when I apply my 2014 Motto to it, which is this:

Nobody really cares.

It's true, watch--

Here's me having an awesome time on vacation! --Nobody really cares.
Here's me holding an adorable dog! --Nobody really cares!
Here's me eating!  --Nobody cares except my mom because she thinks I don't eat enough.

When you view everything under the "Nobody Really Cares" microscope, something like Instagram just seems pointless.  It's just another place to measure our value based on how many people like a photo of us throwing up a peace sign at a Jake Owen concert.

Trust me--

Nobody wants to see that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making