Skip to main content

Kevin Broccoli and the Deathly Hallows

Nine years ago today, the last Harry Potter book came out and I was going through one of the worst periods of my life.
I remember thinking--I know what I'll do, I'll go to one of those midnight book release parties. I'll be surrounded by happy, smiling people and I'll feel better about everything.
I specifically didn't get any of the "save your place in line" tickets, because I wanted to throw myself into the chaos of the evening. I had read all the Harry Potter books, but I wasn't as diehard a fan as a lot of people, so this was meant to just be a nice distraction.
When I got to the bookstore, it was pandemonium. Okay, I thought, you wanted chaos as a distraction, here you go. I waited in line...and I waited....and I waited. Then the sadness I'd been wrestling with kicked in, and the little voice in my head started saying, "This is stupid. You can get one of these books some other time. Let's just go home and crawl under the covers for another two weeks."
I decided to compromise with the dark cloud hanging over me--we could leave the store, but I was getting a book that night. I had set a goal for myself, and for the sake of my own rapidly dwindling self-confidence, I was going to complete that one task--the one thing I'd asked of myself in over a month.
From just within earshot, I heard someone say that they heard there was another bookstore two towns over with half as big a line. I got out of line--to looks of shock and disbelief, I had already been there for hours, after all--and I walked to my car. I drove to the bookstore two towns over, but when I got there, they were already closing up.
Now, I was in a panic.
I started driving anyplace I thought might have books--drugstores, gas stations--it seems insane, but those of you around that night know the feeling--Harry Potter was everywhere. I wouldn't have been surprised to walk into a Taco Bell and see them selling "The Deathly Hallows" from behind the counter.
Finally, after striking out everywhere, I went back to that first bookstore, where the line was still pretty long considering it was long past 1am.
But I waited. And I got my book.
And it felt good. Or at least, it would have, if I wasn't so damn exhausted.
I drove to my mom's house where I was staying, and I collapsed at the dining room table with the book as my pillow. My mom woke me up to go to work at the library about two hours later.
When I got to work to open up, the first person to walk through the door was the UPS guy, and what did he drop off?
Copies of the new Harry Potter book.
I could feel a kind of maniacal laughter bubbling up inside me. It stopped bubbling and full on exploded when my boss handed me one of the books and said--
"They sent us an extra copy by mistake. Here, do you want one?"
It was like some sort of screwed up O. Henry story, and I had no idea what the meaning of it was.
Now that it's nine years later, I like thinking back on that story and that time, because it really did seem like a dark pit that I was never getting out of, and getting that book seemed like the hardest thing in the world, not because of the long lines or the massive crowds, but because it required me to start and finish something in spite of how much I just wanted to give up on everything and disappear forever.
Getting the book felt like I had achieved something huge, and receiving an extra copy the next day felt like life saying "Hey, keep a sense of humor about all this. It's not that serious. You'll see."
And from that day on, things really did start to improve. There have been up's and down's since then, and some of the down's have been way lower than they were in 2007, but I've never felt the way I did before that night, and I feel like I owe part of it to that book.
And yes, I still own two copies of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making