Skip to main content

When Playwrights Attack

About a week ago, a theater got in touch with me asking if they could produce one of my plays.  The catch was, they’re going through some difficult financial times, and they can’t afford the rights.  I won’t go into too much detail, but basically, they thought if they could produce what I’d written at a low cost, they could start to rebuild their company.

I looked into it, found out they were telling the truth, and told them they could do the play for free.  They only asked me to do it at a discounted rate, but I knew charging them nothing was a better idea.  They could bank way more money that way.  All I asked in return was that in the future they’d consider doing more of my work.

And I thought that was the end of the story.

I was wrong.

Apparently, this is what happened next.

Someone from this theater told a playwright from the same area about what I’d done.  I guess they had asked her about doing one of her works at a discounted rate before they asked me, and she refused to lower the price on the rights.  When she heard what I’d done, instead of saying “Oh, isn’t that great.  How nice of him to do the thing I wouldn’t do,” she was FURIOUS.

Truly livid.

And I know this, because she wrote me a scathing e-mail asking, among many things:

- If I realized this devalued not just my work, but the work of all playwrights.
- If I was a millionaire, thereby able to be so generous.
- If I felt my work was so bad that I didn’t deserve any money for it?

She then insinuated that maybe she should contact a few theaters that have done my work and let them know I’m giving it away for free now, and that they should ask for a refund.

After taking a deep breath, I responded to her:

- I wasn’t trying to devalue my work or the work of anyone else, but I also think that passion has value, and this company felt very passionately about producing theater, and doing my show.  Clearly not as passionately as they felt about doing her show, but since she wasn’t willing to bend on the rights, I’m glad I could help them out.

- Yes, I am a millionaire.  I’m writing this e-mail to you from my indoor pool waiting for my chef to finish up the lamb shank he’s making me for dinner.

- I think my work is good, but I think every situation deserves different approaches.  I don’t see anything wrong in charging a well-off theater more for rights and other theaters nothing at all.  I’m sure the well-off theaters probably wouldn’t find that to be fair, but considering all the advantages you get being a well-off theater, I don’t feel they have room to complain.

I ended the e-mail by pointing out that I’m not a well-known playwright, and that one of the best ways to get my work out there is to make it as financially reasonable as possible for people to produce it.  I told her that I run my own theater company ,and so I know how many great plays go unproduced every year because of the bureaucracy you run into attempting to get the rights to some of them, especially plays by gay playwrights and women.  I suggested that maybe the solution is to make it so easy for theaters to do our work, we’ll be the first places they look after Shakespeare and A Christmas Carol.

She hasn’t responded to my e-mail yet, but I’m sure she’s not going to be thrilled when she reads it.

I still think I made the right call.


But that’s just me. 

Comments

  1. Yes. Also: I hear stories all the time of companies who WANT to do a play but are rejected by those who represent the playwright, when I suspect the playwright would probably make a similar call to what you did. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making