Skip to main content

Insight or Information

I stopped listening to Pod Save America because I’d heard it all before.

Okay, that’s the hook.

And it’s not a great hook.  It ends with the word “before” and that’s bothering me, but I also like the turn of phrase--

“I’d Heard It All Before”

That would make a good title for something, but not this.

No, this is called “Insight and Information” which isn’t exciting or catchy at all, but very rarely these days is any piece of writing about two very clear things, and this is--or should be--so I’m going with the more direct title.

Insight and Information.

Now back to the hook--

I’m only being halfway facetious when I say I stopped listening to Pod Save America because I was starting to feel like they had nothing new to say to me.

Before you get angry--which is a common response to reading something somebody’s written--let me assure you that I still enjoyed listening to it for the most part, but--

OH MY GOODNESS IS THERE A LOT TO LISTEN TO

And when it comes to podcasts, specifically podcasts that are about news or politics or culture or anything in the non-fiction realm, it seems like “I like listening to it” just isn’t cutting it.

I need insight.
I need information.

If I can get both, great, but I need to get at least one.

And lately, Pod Save America isn’t delivering.

Now, to be fair, and I’m nothing if not occasionally fair, it’s not their fault.

Many people are having trouble being insightful or informative these days.

Hell, I used to have a podcast that was just me talking about stuff I thought was interesting and I eventually stopped doing it, because it felt like--

Who cares?
Who cares what I think about this or that?

I realized that while I do sometimes have insight into a particular issue, those times were few and far between, and certainly not something that could be counted on to appear on a weekly basis in time to put out a podcast.

So then it comes down to--information.

Look, at one point, being able to tell people what was going on in a clear and concise fashion was valuable.

Very valuable.

In fact, you barely had time for insight by the time you were done telling them what was going on and why.

Wait--would the why be insight?

Who knows?
Who cares?

The point is--

We now have information coming at us from every angle all the time.

Ten minutes after something’s happened, it’s old news.

You know that right?
That’s nothing insightful.

But since information can be gotten just about anywhere, and needs to be delivered promptly--like in seconds--any sort of regular program--podcast, television show--needs to either be ready to go at a moment’s notice OR they need to have a fresh take on that news when it’s their time to comment on it.

The best example of insightful programming would be Last Week Tonight.  Initially, the idea of John Oliver giving us the news on a Sunday evening (SUNDAY EVENING??) was laughable.

News five or even six days late?
Why bother?

Well, because it turns out, John Oliver and his team are pretty insightful.  They have an interesting way of looking at things.

The Pod Save America guys have gotten into a habit of just sort of...telling us what happened and then telling us what they think about what happened, and while that is one way of sharing insight, their opinions just aren’t that...insightful.

They’re sort of just logical deductions with a heavy dose of bias.

And listen, I’m not begrudging them their bias.  I love bias. Give me all the bias you’ve got. But underneath it all, there needs to be something new worth hearing.

Now, I’m not suggesting that’s easy.

It’s not easy.

Having something new to say is something that’s plagued creators and thinkers throughout history, but at a time when we have more content that we’ve ever had before, the rules of creation still apply.

Have something new to say.

Or--

Have a new way of saying something that’s already been said.

In the rare case that you can give us information--amazing!

Sometimes on Pod Save America, they’ll (seemingly accidentally) share with us a detail we didn’t know before from their history working in DC, and whenever I hear that, I always yell--

YES!  THAT! THAT’S WHAT I WANT MORE OF!  THAT’S WHY YOU ALL HAVE THIS SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Btu it seems like they’re not exactly....clear on that.

The same problem plagues cable news--a collection of panels where each person gets to have one opinion conveyed through a series of talking points.

The difference is, we’ve been making fun of cable news for awhile, and we still sort of...revere podcasts and essays like this one.

At least in the publishing world, the bar still seems pretty high in terms of making sure you have something interesting to say before someone lets you say it in a magazine or book.

But in the still-growing world of podcasts, all you need is a brand and a firm grasp and the ability to check a box marked “Topics” and you’re good to go.

There are some exceptions to this--

The Daily often has people on to recap the information of the day and then offer real insight into them.

Still Processing is always a great deep dive into various topics that leaves you actually processing what the two hosts were talking about.

Death, Sex, and Money might be the most insightful podcast out there if you really want your brain to go for a spin.

There are others, but there are also many more that just sort of...regurgitate information and then offer a quick “Well, I think what you probably expect me to think” frosting for the subject along with some attempts at snark that usually just come across grumpy.

(Is there a difference between snarky and grumpy?  Yes. It is a fine line, but I can assure you, it is there.)

Now, whenever I watch, listen, or read anything, I ask myself the question--

Is this insightful or is it informative?

And if it’s neither, then--

Is it entertaining?

But usually--if I’m not learning something new or being taught to think of something in a new way, I’m usually not being entertained either.

Even your current run-of-the-mill streaming content can usually fall into one of the two big boxes.

Catastrophe is a half-hour dark comedy that gives real insight into marriage and relationships.
The Umbrella Academy is a new approach to the superhero genre.
Tidying Up is teaching me how to fold a fitted sheet.

It’s all fresh and fantastic, but it also passes the Insight or Information test.

And if I’m being honest--and normally I’m not--I needed something to cull all this stuff.

If Marie Kondo has taught me nothing, it’s that anything has the ability to pile up--even Netflix watchlist, and it was time to do some organizing.

Once I went through my DVR with the “Insight or Information” strategy, I found that--

No, I really don’t want to watch that.
No, I know where that storyline is going, so why bother?
No, I don’t need to hear another pundit repeat talking points for an hour.

It was liberating.

And I still have five days worth of television to watch.

But, you know what?

It’s a start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making