Skip to main content

The Trouble with Mom and Pop

When I was in college, there was a lunch place I used to love to go, and the love I'm talking about was of the psychologically damaging kind.

Here's what I mean--

Every day, depending on what you wanted to order from this place, you would have to get there as early as 10:00am before certain lunch items ran out.

The place was run by a bunch of women, all related, and they made it very clear that they had little-to-no interest in anything resembling customer service.

If you got there and they were out of something, they expected you to order something else immediately or else they'd send you to the back of the line like the Soup Nazi if he had been five foot three and bore a striking resemblance to Strega Nona.

I was there one day when some poor bastard suggested to the women that if certain items were really popular, they should consider making more of them.

You know...inventory.

Business.

Capitalism.

All the stuff that people running a business usually take an interest in.

Nope.

The women carved that man up right in front of me and stuck him in the egg salad then dared me to order it, which I did, because I swear to you, you've never had egg salad this good in your life.

They had no interest in doing anything to grow their business or keep their customers happy.  They made food.  They sold the food.  The sooner everything sold out, the sooner they could go home.

Why change?

And then...a Subway opened up about a block away.

A year later, they were out of business, and everybody moaned and whined about how chains were putting Mom and Pop shops out of business.

But the truth is, Subway's food could not compare to the food at that lunch place, but when I would go into Subway, people were obligated to be friendly to me.  I know it's all fake, but it still feels nicer than being shouted at because you were wondering if you could have extra mustard on your sandwich.

Plus, I got tired of racing to this place to see if I could get a lunch order when most people have just finished breakfast.

There was a part of me that hoped when there was some competition this lunch place would perform a little better.  It struck me as audacious that they'd completely dismissed the idea of satisfying their customers just because they were the only game in town.

But rather than change, they folded, and blamed it on evil corporations and low price points.

Now, I'm not here to defend corporations.  I'd rather eat whatever it is Subway calls bread (it's not bread) every day of my life, but the lunch place should have taken on more of the blame.

Growing up, I would hear this stuff all the time at family gatherings about bakeries and restaurants that were awful when it came to customer service, but did well anyway because this was before the advent of chain-everything.

I'm not trying to make a generalization here.  Many small businesses are owned by wonderful people who appreciate the people who frequent them, but like any barrel of apples, more than a few are a little bit bruised.

The other day I ordered a pizza from a non-chain pizza place.  Standard order--small pizza and a can of Coke.  The delivery guy arrived with a small pizza and a can of Diet Coke.

He explained to me that they had run out of Coke so they just decided I would like Diet Coke instead.

Reader, I hate Diet Coke more than you can possibly imagine.

But what really bothered me was the following:

- How do you run out of Coke when you're a pizza place?  A PIZZA PLACE.
- It's Coke.  It's not some rare ingredient from the West Indies.  It should never be scarce at your place of business.  You can buy it in bulk and just let it sit in a fridge somewhere.
- The delivery guy would have passed at least seven different places on the way to my place of work.  Why didn't the owners say to him, "Hey, on the way there, stop and grab a Coke for this guy and get a few boxes of it as well to hold us over tonight."

Did I tip him well?

Totally.

It's not his fault, and even if it was, I still would have tipped well, because I'm not a monster.

But I never ordered from that pizza place again, because--Yeah, I don't have to.

And they should know that.

They should know that Domino's may be garbage with crust, but it does not run out of Coke.  It is a machine.  It does not make stupid mistakes.

I am willing to pay more money for better food, because I understand that low price points are how big businesses close small ones, but good customer service is free, so there's no reason it should be that hard to accomplish, unless somebody is being a dick to you, in which case, have at it.

The issue may be that for a long time, as much as these small businesses hate their bigger competition, they benefited from essentially having a monopoly over certain areas.  Many of their customer service problems originated with the fact that they would hire their relatives as employees.

It's been twenty years since one of my relatives went to a certain bakery, and she still talks about how much she misses it, but refuses to go back, because the owner had his wife working the counter and she was a nightmare.

Now see, if that was a chain, you assume that at some point, somebody would do something about that, but when you're buying a birthday cake from Dean's Bakery and Dean's wife is working the cash register, you know you're better off just taking your business elsewhere.

Anytime I get the feeling that a small business I'm dealing with doesn't understand that I could go to at least three other businesses OR just shop online, I'm so put off by it that I wonder if they're even really interested in succeeding.

I've been to more than one restaurant in Rhode Island that I was sure was just a mob front.

There's one restaurant downtown that--on a Saturday night during a Waterfire--closed at 7pm because they ran out of pasta.

Pasta.

Again, buy it bulk and shove it in the pantry.

Do you know what kind of place this was?

An Italian place.

Does that sound...odd to you?

Believe it or not, that place is still open, because while it might be a mob front, the pasta is also really, really good.

When they have it.

Listen, nobody's saying Mom and Pop aren't great at what they do.

You just wonder sometimes if they could do it with a smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making