Skip to main content

Look to the Meanest People You Know

First, let's make one thing clear.

I'm a horrible person.

Terrible.

Really bad.

Absolute control freak.

Pathological need to be the center of attention.

Loooove feeling important.

Love it.

Now, most of the time, all of these things would not necessarily make me a...fun person to be around.

I mean, some people put up with it, and because I do theater, some of it is tolerated because it falls under the heading of "Annoying Things About Theater People."

But your average person tends to balk at it, and I don't blame them.

They don't want any of that in their lives.

...Until there's an emergency.

In the middle of the pandemic, you saw people who previously hated Governor Cuomo and Governor Raimondo here in Rhode Island saying things like "You know, I never liked them before, but I really admire the way they handled this crisis."

What you don't seem to understand is, all the things you didn't like about them are the things that made it possible for them to handle a crisis well.

I am AMAZING in a crisis.

Point to a problem and say--

Fix this by bossing people around, while setting boundaries that people have to follow with the incentive being unending praise and gratitude.

You just described the profile of every Cancer.

When something is going wrong, look for the meanest people you know to help you.

They are the ones that will get you through this, because the people you love who are so sweet and sensitive and giving?

They are going to fall apart in Minute One of the alien invasion.

It's the jerks who are going to get us through any problem.

Because we, the jerks, have been waiting our entire lives for everyone to depend on us and give us total control over them.

It's what we dream about.

So this surprise and shock I'm seeing from people in regards to leaders who were previously thought to be overreaching and authoritarian is so strange to me.

Tyrants are terrifying most of the time, but in a disaster movie, do you ever hear one of the characters say--

You know what?  We should form a committee and make decisions as a group.

No.

They pick a leader.

And they usually pick the scariest looking person.

Because that's how you survive.

I love Mr. Rogers, but notice, Mr. Rogers didn't say--

Find people who look like me when something goes wrong.

He said "the helpers" and he never really gave us details about what "the helpers" would look like, but I'm not sure he meant "people like me."

The Fred Rogers of the world are fantastic when the time comes for healing and reflection and comfort.

But when it's all going down, that's not who you want in charge.

Some people wondered when all of this started if I would have trouble with the world as it is because I without my creative outlet, I would feel adrift and lost.

The truth is--I've never felt more in my element.

That's not to say I'm not looking forward to when all this is over, but in the meantime, I'm kind of enjoying nobody criticizing me for being the way I always am.

The other day, someone actually said to me--

You know, you seem different lately.

I didn't bother to tell them that I'm the same person I always was.

It's everything else that's changed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making