Skip to main content

On Donuts and Hypocrisy












This weekend, as people in Rhode Island were losing their minds over Allie's Donuts taking away a police and military discount, I made a status about how most of those people didn't seem to mind when Chik-fil-A first declared their opposition to the very existence of gay people.

It was a cute little quip, perfect for sharing, and just snarky enough to make a point.

But behind that, there was actually a lot of frustration and pain.

See, Rhode Island didn't have a Chik-fil-A when the company made its first statement, so while I didn't see certain people speaking out against it, I assumed it was just because they didn't see the point in condemning a company that we wouldn't be able to patronize anyway, and I didn't think much more about it than that.

Then, they opened a franchise here, and I actually got to see a bunch of people who call themselves my friends gleefully posting about their first time eating there.

Oh sure, a couple of people in the comments pointed out their problematic stance towards the LGBTQ community (which had been doubled down on several times at that point) and they were met with that condescending explanation of how because it's a franchise, it doesn't represent what the main company thinks, even though the main company definitely makes money off franchises, and why would you want to open a franchise whose owners support anti-gay policies?

Some of the same people who are now saying they're furious with Allie's had absolutely nothing to say and haven't had anything to say about a whole host of issues that involve oppression and persecution of people they claim to love, and I have to imagine they think their silence goes unnoticed.

It doesn't.

When you confront people about this, they often come back at you with "It's my profile and I can post what I want" or they let you know that they privately agreed with you in the past, but they just didn't feel like saying anything at that particular moment.

Isn't it funny how people always seem eager to speak out when something backs up their perception of the world only to get quiet when they disagree with something that would also harm their personal worldview?

I feel the same way when I hear people quibble with using the word "defund" in the phrase "Defund the Police."  It reminds me of the well-meaning people who used to say "I don't understand why the gays have to call it marriage.  I mean, I'm for gay marriage, but don't you know you'd have an easier time getting what you want if you just gave up the word?"

Yes, we got that.  We totally understood that.  We just felt that we had a right to the word and other people didn't have a right to determine whether or not it could belong to us, because ultimately, the point was that it didn't belong to anybody.

That's the thing about semantics--people dismiss them for a reason.  They're usually a way to allow narrow-minded people to get out of having to discuss complex issues, not because they don't understand them, but because they don't want to.

Truthfully, if you ever saw a gay person at the time offer to give up the idea of marriage so they could get all the other rights, you would have seen the person who claimed the word "marriage" was the issue fumbling to come up with another reason they couldn't approve.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I no longer pay attention when people try to explain to me that I need to negotiate my values and that I need to ask others to do the same.  The people who break something and then benefit from it being broken shouldn't get a say in how to fix it.

After just a day or two of agreeing to simply, you know, shut the hell up and listen, suddenly everybody had an opinion that they felt they could voice quietly just to put their two cents in about everything from education reform to the health risks of protesting.

A donut shop stops offering a discount, and nobody asks why there wasn't ever a discount for doctors, nurses, teachers, EMT's, or nursing home workers.

Because see, it's not about the discount.

It's about personality cultivation.

The right loves to decry identity politics, when, like most things they complain about, they invented the concept.  But it's not even about politics.

It's about making people you don't like mad.

Really, it's as simple as that.

We're all mad and we only know how to deal with that by making other people mad, and nothing makes people madder than hypocrisy, so we produce it whenever possible, and then claim ignorance when someone calls us out on it, which is easy, because nobody really wants to take the time to prove that their grandfather had nothing to say when Black people were being killed for decades, but that suddenly he's very vocal because they're making him wear a mask to church.

Nobody wants to do the work that call-out culture requires, because I think we all know that work like that doesn't lead anywhere, and yet, it's the work we enjoy the most.

Oh sure, it feels like our head is caving in when we engage in these arguments, but it's still better than doing what we've been asked to do--read, educate, and evolve.

I'm not sure how a post about donuts got so lofty, but let me try to bring it back around as best I can--

Being Irish, Italian, and gay means I have never forgotten anything bad anyone has ever done to me...ever.  Like a brilliant line from an amazing play--"I have a great memory for pain."

So as the days and weeks and months go on, and some of you feel compelled to speak out in spite of all the times you've been silent, you might think you can do it anyway, because with billions of thoughts being posted a day, who'll notice your previous absence from conversations about injustice?

Please let me assure you--

It has not gone unnoticed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making